Thread: Redhat, help!!?!!

Question Redhat, help!!?!!

Hi,

One of my friends has a dual boot system, Win ME and Redhat 8.
    He asked me to come round last nite to see if i could try and get his adsl modem working with Redhat.

OK, this is what happend....

after trying for a while to get it online , i restarted his computer to boot into windoze so i could find some online help.

After redhat shut down all i get from his computer is a series of beeps and nothing else(no signal to the monitor or anything!).

has anyone experienced this before?

any clue as to what has happend/what i can do about it?

any help would be great, his computer is completely unusable right now!

-aX
    \"I can resist everything, except temptation.\" - Oscar Wilde

Re: Redhat, help!!?!!

Originally posted here by anonymityX
    Hi,

One of my friends has a dual boot system, Win ME and Redhat 8.
    He asked me to come round last nite to see if i could try and get his adsl modem working with Redhat.

OK, this is what happend....

after trying for a while to get it online , i restarted his computer to boot into windoze so i could find some online help.

After redhat shut down all i get from his computer is a series of beeps and nothing else(no signal to the monitor or anything!).

has anyone experienced this before?

any clue as to what has happend/what i can do about it?

any help would be great, his computer is completely unusable right now!

-aX

For starters you can, you know, name off a few things you did so we know where to start.

Basically you just said "I did stuff and now the thingy isnt doing something what can I do?"

I need a little more than that to fix a problem.

Reply with the things you did before you got to the problem and then maybe we can help more.

OK,
    To try and make things abit clearer.....

I booted into Redhat. I tried to install an adsl modem using the gui tools available, just like you would using a dialup modem, I just went through the settings, first i went through internet connection wizard and then used the gui it brought up to try and configure the modem. After my attempts had failed........

I rebooted and something seems to have happend to the bios as i was only greated with a series of bleeps, the only thing i touched in redhat was the internet wizard and the modem settings. I couldn't access the bios settings, it just bleeped 3 times and stopped(just like it does when theres no video adapter available)

From what i can see at this point is its either a hardware problem or a bios problem, but i can't see how that could be related to configuring a modem in redhat.

hope this is a bit more help, i won't be able to tell you much more till i have another look tonight after work.
    \"I can resist everything, except temptation.\" - Oscar Wilde

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Well, you can easily find what is causing the prob by listening to the beeps. These beeps are error codes they differ from motherboard (bios) to motherboard.

Here's a site with beep codes for AMI, AWARD, PHOENIX, IBM
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

(If you cannot find your type of bios, easiest way is to look into the case, note the motherboard type google for it including the word beeps or something similar, there will turn up pages explaining the beeps.)

Now listen again to the beeps, they will tell you what's wrong.

3 beeps you say? sounds like an Award video error. Perhaps the modem takes the resources needed for the video? very unlikly.