bloody computers!!!

Thread: bloody computers!!!

bloody computers!!!

Today i needed to do the last piece of work that would finish my degree, a presentation of my final project. In preparation for this i had gone to the lab the previous night to make sure that everything that was supposed to work did and went to sleep confident the presentation would go well. But as computers sometines seem to have a mind of their own it didn't go according to plan!

My project was to create a e commerce site that "could" be used to sell concert tickets and cd's. Things like payment weren't supposed to work, but everything else in buying things should have. I had confirmation emails working everything, except when i demonstrated it instead of reducing the number of items by the number bought, it just removed the entire field!!! I could have cried seeings as this project was worth a sixth of my degree.

Anyway the point of the post (apart from getting that off my chest) was that i expect that it is not only me that has had serious on the day issues with computers and was wondering if people would like to share.

heres to happy computing

Matt
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

i've got one thats worth sharing as well, we had to do this presentation in year 11 at high school, we were using this software called SCALA (i didnt think much of it really) and we had to present i to the class...

we had been making the presentation on the school PC's which were just standard win98 boxes with office etc on them

the teacher brought in a laptop to use with the projector, we all were assuming that the laptop being one from the same scholl would have a setup much the same as far as programs go, boy were we wrong...

we loaded up our presentation in front of the whole class to find that all our text had vanished, turns out that the fonts we had used in it were not installed on tha laptop and it didnt replace the fonts with anything lse, just left it blank....

yes computers are great when they work but when theyre not they create very fast, accurate mistakes...

AO's Mr Grumpy
    ShippMA,
    One of my own making.Having to install security certificate for web server tech class, I duly downloaded the certificate from Verisign (from home) giving the machine name and No. for my lab machine. What a time saver. Next day I realised i had counted the lab macxines the wrong way round, and had given the machine No of the one next to me, which fortunately no one was using. Yippee - no IIS installed, no time left to get everything set up and get web site going, no marks for me that day. Is,nt Uni a great place for computer disasters.
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

My worst experience with computers is only a night-old. Right now I'm in the process of transferring to a four year college and in one of the applications I was supposed to write a 5000 words essay.First of all, I suck at writing papers.
    The subject of the essay was of my choice and I chose network security (of course), done tremendous amount of research (online and off), and finally got this damn 5000 (actually I think it was 4917) words paper. With the lack of sleep and many other factors, I forgot to save the work and my dear machine *ahem* FROZE. JUst like that.
    Now, I'm pressed to submit this paper before Friday and I have no idea how am I goig to pull it off.
    You gotta love Windows for that!
    \"Great spirits always encounter strong opposition from mediocre minds.\"
    Albert Einstein

ah the amount of times that i have had windows crash on me while writing essays (or been asked by friends to try to recover work after a crash) is ridiculous. i think i now have my auto save set to every couple of minutes just in case. I don't usually notice it when it saves, barely look at the screen when i write.

Problem i have now with my comp is that i think the power supply has a short. i turn the thing on about secs later i here a click and the power supply shuts off, haven't had any time to investigate it yet though.
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

Hey Shipma, Is there an auto-save feature for Microsoft Word? I never noticed it.
    I guess I'll turn it on right now. And this isn't the first time Windows crashes. I just hate it when it does, especially when you are in the middle of something important. And my reaction to it is I start screaming and cursing, even if it's in the middle of the night.
    And by the way, good luck with fixing the power supply of your computer.
    I Myself am in the process of moving to Linux. But it's a pain in the ass to get started with it though.
    Peace
    \"Great spirits always encounter strong opposition from mediocre minds.\"
    Albert Einstein