Truth about Bowling for Columbine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truth about Bowling for Columbine

Truth about Bowling for Columbine

This article raises some very good points that do call into question whether Moore's Oscar should be awarded to another film. For all paranoiacs there's links everywhere supporting everything that the guy is saying.

It does appear that Moore's 'documentary' was more an exercise in misdirection than a truthful, objective piece of work. I'm not naive enough to believe that Moore's bias didn't come into play, but this page shows that it is prevalent to the point where it moves from 'biased' into 'deceptive'.

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

Two questions then: Are Moore's actions in this movie ethical? and should the Oscar be awarded to another film if it is proved beyond all doubt that his intention was to deliberately deceive and misdirect the film's audience?

[edit]
    http://www.revoketheoscar.com/
    [/edit]

I can't say that i have followed Micheal Moore very closely, or that documentary, but i do remember a guy on the new's that was talking about how he was using quotes from people, but he was just taking much of them way out of context.

This is the same guy who want's most American's to pay atleast 70% on every dollar earned to the government, not the kinda guy i'm taking too seriously in the first place.

Mr. Moor has a long history of messageing the truth for his documenteries this is nothing new, this dosn't mean we should take away his oscar. Its a meaningless award, and is being given to him because he was wrongly passed over for "Rodger and Me" those that deserved this oscar will get one for a later movie and whoever deserves it then will have to wait.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Look the Oscar's are just movie stars patting other movie stars on the back. Screw them and their Oscar's.

Bowling for Columbine was a joke and so is Michael Moore. He's just pissed because he doesn't look like George Clooney, so he uses his meager intellect to try to twist popular attitudes to his whim.

He blames everbody but the people who should take the blame. Any good parent will tell you that.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned

Smile

I've always thought of myself as a HUGE Michael Moore fan and a strong supporter of what he has to say. BUT...just lately it seems like he's lost sight of his goals. He's more about promoting himself rather than revealling the "awful truth"..

I even had to put down "Stupid White Men" as I found a little boring and once again I thought it was more about how great Michael Moore is rather than politically insightful.

Come on, Michael....time to "keep it real" and focus on what's important......

Banned
    FAQ, I gotta disagree with you, I read "Stupid White Men" and although I did think it was a bunch of crock-**** (excuse my language), it was not boring at all. Moore is an excellent writer, he knows how to twist words around to make them to favor him. He understands that people will not agree with him unless he pokes fun at people so that is his basic theory, he makes fun of a person and turns people's views around with ridicule rather than fact.

Banned
    Originally posted here by jaguar291
    FAQ, I gotta disagree with you, I read "Stupid White Men" and although I did think it was a bunch of crock-**** (excuse my language), it was not boring at all.

I thought the material was good....just written poorly. Moore seemed to be more interested in promoting himself rather than push home the evils of the Bush regime...

Anyway, it's still one the bestsellers list so it's obvious there aren't too many of us that think it's a little boring..........

Banned
    I think KorpDeath put it best when he said this:

Originally posted here by KorpDeath

Bowling for Columbine was a joke and so is Michael Moore. He's just pissed because he doesn't look like George Clooney, so he uses his meager intellect to try to twist popular attitudes to his whim.

As for the evils of the Bush regime... I think he blasted Bush and his little followers incredibly... my signature is actually a quote from the book. He does an excellent job making Bush look bad... my favorite is that list of *Incredible* things Bush has done in his short reign as "President."

I thought the documentary was great. Just brilliant. Yes, I can't deny it way biased,
    but I also could not deny the truth in it.

People who watch the film are well aware that some of the things said in the film
    were out of context. It's obvious! Any idiot could have figured that out, those where
    the funny parts.

With the things he took out of context, he was also trying to show them as monsters,
    which they are (the NRA). So what if they canceled a meeting, what good does that
    do? It does nothing. They do little to help inforce or promote back ground checks
    and other safety precautions.

The point of the film was that guns do kill, and it is far to easy to obtain one these
    days. I have gone to gun conventions and gun shops before (my B/F love them, go
    figure) and it disgustingly simple to get a weapon. No background checks, no
    nothing. Just a transaction of money and that’s it.

I have reported these things, nothing has happened. I have tried to get in contact
    with the ones that run the conventions and shops, but they refuse to take my calls.

Yes, I have even tried to contact the NRA (which my B/F is a member of), and when
    I get a hold of someone and they ask what this call inquires about, they say they'll
    connect me, but the ring is never picked up or the secretary hangs up on me. My
    B/F can get in contact with someone, no problem.

The person who made that little page understood little about the mechanics of
    Moores film style. And in that, he mistakes, and assumes for the majority of his rant
    in that provided link. He also (like Moore) seems to have his own bias.

We also have to remember this documentary is from his perspective. And as we all
    know, perspectives differ.

Moore got his message across to million with this documentary, and that scares
    many people including my B/F.

Just the truth and my opinion.
    'Chelle

Michael Moore, yeah i know him, this is the same guy who wants many americans to pay 75% of their paycheck to the government. I'll take this guy seriously when Hillary writes a non-fiction book.