Thread: Possible virus?

Question Possible virus?

I have a friend who has a problem with recieving multiple copies of the same email.

One of his mates sent him an e-mail around 3 months ago that he read and deleted as it was basically a rotten gag. The problem he's having is the e-mail re-appears randomly and in multiples if you know what I mean.

He hadn't received it for a week or two but last night he got the same e-mail sent 23 times!!!

There are no attachments to the emails which makes me wonder if its not a virus, but i can;t think of any other reason for this happening!

Unless of course his mate is sitting there hitting the FWD button alot!

Anyone any ideas?

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Could be a worm like Klez i think.

Did he ran an uptodate virusscan ? If you don't have one, you can scan online here :

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

It's a pretty good one.

Anyway i had this prob myself once, and if you rightclick on an email (not open it) and select properties, you can trace from where those emails generally come.
    Sometimes one of your friends is affected and you'll receive it cause the worm sends it to all adresses.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Just Another Geek
    I have to agree with Shrekkie. It's probably some worm. Be careful though when tracing it. The last few worms all fake the From: address so it will appear to come from someone else.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

It dosen't need to have an attachment to be a pain in the ass. Some worms exploit scripting language vulnerabilities, allowing all sorts of actions to be performed on the target. His friend probably opened an infected email.

Best bet for both of you is to make sure you AV is up-to-date, and maybe do a complete scan to make sure. It does sound like he would have it, but you can never be too safe.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Dosn't sound like a virus as it has no attachment, is their some sort of mail server antivirus running, the sender may have a virus that is being scrubed before it reaches your inbox. This is most likely an issue on the sender side of things regaurdless.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by bigb
    It dosen't need to have an attachment to be a pain in the ass. Some worms exploit scripting language vulnerabilities, allowing all sorts of actions to be performed on the target. His friend probably opened an infected email.
    I think bigb brings up a good point.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile