Thread: resizing partitions

resizing partitions

I installed mandrake but than it failed to install bootloader and it screwed up windows partition and than i had to format the c:\ but the mandrake was still taking up space i installed windows and my windows partition is only 3 gb's big i need to make it bigger it is a 10gb hd so how would i take off (the mandrake installation) and make the windows have a bigger partition. Would Partition magic or whatever read all drives and be able to change this to make it work.

*AdrEnAl_ine*,

The same Mandrake installation has an option (during the installation process) where you can choose how many space you'd like to use for every partition and it's really easy to use so, you can try this option, you can try Partition Magic or you can use fdisk in DOS that will still do the work.

Personally, after seeing you have a "small" mess there, i'd recommend to erase every partition create them again and install both OS again too.

Good luck,

DKRR

How is that about installing bootloader screwees youre windows partition.

The bootloader usualy installs it self on the bootrecord. So please tell us wath did they do.

xDrack....

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I highly recommend Partition Magic from Powerquest.

It lets you resize, remove, move and otherwise alter (change NTFS to FAT32 to EXT2, etc.) partitions without having to scrap your data and start over.

Some of the tasks can be done in Windows without even rebooting, although many must be done during a reboot because Windows won't let Partition Magic alter some things while Windows is active.

I agree with -DaRK-RaiDeR- that if it is too jacked at this point it may make more sense to obliterate the whole thing, but I would always have Partition Magic onhand for situations like this in the future.

I installed mandrake but than it failed to install bootloader and it screwed up windows partition and than i had to format the c:\ but the mandrake was still taking up space i installed windows and my windows partition is only 3 gb's big i need to make it bigger it is a 10gb hd so how would i take off (the mandrake installation) and make the windows have a bigger partition.
    Insert a boot disk and from the command line enter

Code:
    fdisk/mbr
    to get rid of the LILO/GRUB or other bootloader. Then depending on the OS (I am going to assume both sice you did not specify what flavor of Windows you are using 9xo or NT based), you will need to either

A. If it's a 9x variant (Windows95, 98, Me), slap in either the OS CD or a bootdisk containing FDISK and do the following:

1. Choose "Change physical disk or partition" and choose the partition that contains the Mandrake partition.

2. Choose "Delete NON-DOS partition" and delete it.

3. Make a new FAT32 partiton.

B. If it is an NT based OS (NT, 2000, XP), then you do the following:

1. Insert the OS disk and choose "Repair a Winxx Installation"

2. You will be dropped to a command line. Enter the admin password (if any)

3. Type

Code:
    diskpart
    and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps.

If you haven't already done it, just erase all partitions, and your program should let you customize the size of yuor partitions, or it may have an option to just increase partion size. If your hard drive is locking up on you, it sounds like you didn't leave enough free space in the partition where you have your OS installed. You generally need at least 15% free space beyond any used space on any partition in order for that partition to work; otherwise, the partition hasn't got enough RAM to work with and it tends to bog down.
    The world is a museum and I am it\'s willing patron.