Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XP Admin Password ( + Packard Bell Complaint)

XP has no default admin password. If you want to delete all passwords start in safe mode and use the "hidden" admin that is built in with no password but full privledges. then go into control panells->users->and delete all password. Widows security sucks. if you set a password and forgot it, get a 2000 cd and start in safemode for that still no password required. LOL windows sucks.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by XTC46
    XP has no default admin password. If you want to delete all passwords start in safe mode and use the "hidden" admin that is built in with no password but full privledges. then go into control panells->users->and delete all password. Widows security sucks. if you set a password and forgot it, get a 2000 cd and start in safemode for that still no password required. LOL windows sucks.
    All very true. However in my experience there is a subtle difference between WinXP home & WinXP pro in this case.
    I presume this is a feature, rather than a bug in WinXP home
    You can set an admin password for WinXP home (either when you install it, or afterwards).
    But, this password is not used by the recovery console in WinXP home - so even if you have set one, don't type it in! A null entry works instead ....

I think better you refers to FAQ at HP website or at somewhere else, or why not you just send it back the computer shop where you bought your pc and let them fix for you because I think your PC still under warranty.

......::::::.....:::::.....

O.K Guys.

I managed to get the job done by using the Tbradley method.

I am still vexed by all that has happened re: HP

I am also some what annoyed that the only way to recover the OEM operating system was a painfull 3 hour re-install process which auto formats the hard disk and has no user configurable OS options until the OS install completes.

I also had to return the machine to its factory installed condition hardware wise as they have little or no support for re tatooing the installation to suit extras such as dvd-rw and my stepper card.

As another NEG to HP I don't know if this is legal but the XP it installs does not have to be activated. I am sure that I tried this with an old machine I had and that the only way round this was to crack it with some crappy piece of software.

As my final comment in this forum.

"If you have any knowledge of computers or are going to use any software or hardware which doesn't come with the machine don't buy packard bell"

darkes just a pointer for you... you can set the 'hidden' admin account on XP home to have a password, you can also change the login from 'Administrator' if you like ... type in 'control userpasswords2' at the run command... you'll get a nice GUI pop up which allows you to perform this task - if you haven't reset your 'hidden' admin password I would. You do then have to enter the password if you're using the recovery console but it's a little bit useless since you can get around this as Mark has discovered... but it's just another step for causing hassle to someone trying to get into your box.

Mark - glad to hear you managed to get in again - the reason your seeing this is because HP usually use a ghost partition of the system in a clean state... hence if the HD goes you are going to have to purchase a copy of XP on CD. It is a common practice in the UK (and not one I agree with) but it is legal... basically HP would have purchased a OEM license from MS installed it on your PC and set up a ghost partition for recovery (I think Time do a similar thing but with a 'recovery CD' rather than a seperate parition - could be wrong though) which also means that your copy of XP doesn't have to be activated because it has been activated already by HP.

As regards buying PC's - personally I always get them built for me from an independant supplier...

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Hm, If you need to access the admin account in XP and you don't have a pass... I guess your pretty much screwed.
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    Check out that site. It has a linux boot disk with some nifty stuff on it, pop it in, restart and it should disable SYSKEY and reset your admin password to anything you want.
    PHP Code:
    function kill($name) {

session_unregister($name);
        die();

Dead Man Walking
    Wow mark i figured a guy like you would be smarter than to buy a packard hell. Okay thats enough good natured ribbing. as to the xp reinstall/activation. I know some of the newer hps are coming with onboard recovery. You can use it 3 times then you have to buy the xp disc.....sounds screwy to me. But then again i know shops that sell pc's with os installed and NO disc or anything goes with them. Thats why i like to build my own. That way i know exactly what im dealing with .

I agree with Zombie, screw buying computers just build your own. I built mine and have never had a problem with it. Besides when you build your computer you know every aspect of it, it can come out cheaper, and it gives you a better understanding of the computer itself. So Just build your own. Plus you can set it up for optimum performance.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I myself have lost a admin password in xp home, xp pro and 2k, I used a peice of software called passware, wich you can find at http://www.lostpassword.com. It involves you gong through the install procedure but when you get to the hit F6 key to add extra drivers for scsi, then you put the floppy you make in the drive and point the windows install to the floppy and follow the instructions....

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

XP and New systems

Compaq and a lot of other systems now do not
    supply the restore Disks.... Real Cute....

I personally grab all the Drivers off the
    Hard Drive before registering online...
    Usually I stick it on a CD

Then I f-disk and remove all the partitions
    then re-install Windows XP of a CD I have
    then do the online register of the OS...
    Saves me lots of problems in the long run....

Sometimes I have to fight with MS on getting it
    to registered...but there usually pretty good.

Warning.... You better be a good tech before doing this.

As a note: You can always pull the drive and stick it
    in another computer as a slave to pull your data and
    drivers.
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle