Thread: Microsoft Pulls XP Patch

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Microsoft Pulls XP Patch

A patch for Windows XP was pulled by Microsoft because it interfered with 3rd party firewall and security programs and caused some 600,000 users to lose their ability to connect to the Internet.

Users who experienced the problem could solve it by uninstalling the patch.

For a more complete explanation you can read this article: WashingtonPost.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Nice post.

This is a perfect example of why we use Microsoft SUS. For those not familiar, it is a free patch management service that you can download from Microsoft that enables you to distribute only patches that you have approved. It integrates with AD and of course group policy very nicely. Before you get all happy about this, it does have some drawbacks such as it cannot serv up service packs and you cannot get patches on demand. It utilizes the automatic update feature.This is Microsoft's way of wetting your whistle for their true enterprise solution, SMS, which is buku dolares.

Anyway, you can read more about it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...us/default.asp
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Can anyone tell me what the designation of this patch was? It wasn't installed on my laptop, but it maybe, in anouther unit I use.
    Thanks
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Did anyone else get the big see how great MS security is ad at the top of this thread. I found that ironic. As for SUS, it has some issues if youhave more then one sunet, or want to update things through a DMZ. Just one more reason to remember, patch a test machine first, verify that it works and then roll it into production. Check the register artical on the patch rollback as they have the name of the bad patch. www.theregister.com
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I have ZoneAlarm Pro set to block all banner and pop-up advertisements so I didn't get to see that. The irony of it all sounds quite amusing though.