Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows 2000 admin password

windows 2000 admin password

Does anyone know how I can get the password of the admin without having any access to the desktop whatsoever? I lost my password on the other computer right after I changed it for security reasons.

thx in advance
    -fade

You have a couple different options if you have local access.

1) Use a utility to reset the password. I know winternals has one that I've used called locksmith... but it cost $$. I also know that there are some out there that are *nix based but will reset the passwords on NT/2k/XP. I don't remember the name of it though.

2) Use another admin account and change the password on the account you forgot the password to. That is assuming you have 2 user accounts with admin privledges.

3) Reinstall over itself and do a system restore. Just specify a new password after the install.

4) Use a live linux distro from CD. Knoppix would work. Copy the sam file and crack it with a 2k password cracker. You might need brute force depending on how good your passwords are.... My favorite password auditing/cracking tool would have to be L0pht's cracker... This could take tons of time though... my passwords normally thke 3 days to crack using a 1.9ghz box. (I'm anal about my boxes and passwords.)

5) Search the forum(s). I know I've read several threads just like this one... and there are more solutions to your problem... just have to take the time to find them.

Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You lost your password right after you changed it...right!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

You lost your password right after you changed it...right!
    Hey... its happened to me... but after a whole night of drinking...

who would have thunk that I'd choose the password 1L0v3b33r!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

who would have thunk that I'd choose the password 1L0v3b33r!
    bugger.. scratch that one from my list of future passwords..lol

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Use the "Offline NT password recovery" tool (google for it)

Beware that it may fry your system, but probably won't. I have used it with no ill effects.

Thumbs up

ok lets see

for this to work u should have FAT32 format.

you need a startup disk.

Simply insert the startup disk in your floppy drive and restart your machine.

after it starts ( you get the dos prompt), go to directory : C:/windows/system32/config/

there u are:\

type this command and restart your machine: del sam.*

when u restart you will have your default accounts (i.e administrator with no password needed and the guest).

If u need more help dont hesitate to ask.
    cheers
    antisecurityboy

thanks~everyone

use knoppix

hei..
    dont know from where you are..
    im from switzerland, so i bought the last CT.. famous magazine.. maybe you can download the actual in donkey or elsewhere..
    there is in an article written, how to get out the encryptet 2000 XP password.. no need for password cracker... knoppix does it..

so long

dude

...I find it funny how people are eagar to help people as long as they say they're doing it for legitimate reasons...when you can clearly tell they're not.

Heh.

Also, I fail to understand why everybody who has replied to this thread are unable to read correctly. He clearly stated that he had no physical access - 90% of your answers required some form of walking up to the computer and tweaking with it. Hell, if he had physical access, why even bother posting a thread about gaining admin status?

Posted by: fade7
    Does anyone know how I can get the password of the admin without having any access to the desktop whatsoever? I lost my password on the other computer right after I changed it for security reasons.
    Okay, fade7, some questions first:
    • is the computer that you're trying to access on a LAN?
    • is the computer that you're trying to access ever online?

Because if your on a LAN it'd be quite easy. Rooting a random (in your case quite specific) box that is just floating online is a bit more difficult however - but not much.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]