Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Processors.

1978 Intel 8086 released
    1979 Intel 8088 released

Depending on what your requirements for the statement are.... When the 8086 was released, it didn't run on anything, it wasn't really compatible, so then Intel had to go redesign it, and they released the 8088. Now, the 8088 was the first useable processor, but the 8086 was the first released. . . it's just that it wasn't useable...

Do a google on

intel 8088 8086 released year

More Links to said information
    http://www.msci.memphis.edu/~ryburnp...microhist.html
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Thanks for the links and info. My book has lied to me oh well, at least its fixed.

sorry guys, but the 8086 was not the first chip produced by intel either. They put the 8080 in machines as far back as 1974. Intel was around making chips way before this as well, they were just used mostly in space and military uses.

"The Altair 8800, often called the first personal computer on the market, was sold to hobbyists as a $439 kit. It was based on Intel's 8080 microprocessor, had 256 bytes of basic memory, and was programmed by flipping toggle switches on its front panel. One early user recalls that writing programs for the Altair wore blisters on his fingertips."

quoted from-
    http://www.coopsjokes.com/amz/amzintel.htm

Banned
    The 4004 was Intel's first microprocessor. This breakthrough invention powered the Busicom calculator and paved the way for embedding intelligence in inanimate objects as well as the personal computer.

Source : http://www.intel.com/intel/intelis/m...f/hof_main.htm

i may be wrong too :-D

Originally posted here by MemorY
    actually that isnt true either

The 4004 was Intel's first microprocessor. This breakthrough invention powered the Busicom calculator and paved the way for embedding intelligence in inanimate objects as well as the personal computer.

Source : http://www.intel.com/intel/intelis/m...f/hof_main.htm

i may be wrong too :-D
    I never said it was the first chip. I just said the 8080 was put out before the 8086 or 8088. I think the 8080 applies more to what is being discussed here as it was used in what many consider to be the first personal computer. The 8008 also came out before the 8080, but the machines that it powered(Micral) were not even close to what we consider a computer today. The altair also isn't like our machines today, but a little bit closer.

Gore's tut is correct in that he says it was used in the first IBM microcomputer, the only thing that isn't correct is that he says it was also the first Intel chip. Good info anyways..

Stop the squabbling !

hey guys just so as to stop the which came first and when etc if you check out the link i posed earlier it explains all, it is straight from intel so i think they would know guys !

http://www.intel.com/intel/intelis/m...f/hof_main.htm

enjiy and good tutorial by the way gore !

live well and love life
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Wink first Intel processors

Actually, the 4004 was the first. It was a four-bit processor but wasn't a commercially available. The 8080 was used by the Imsai, Cromemco and other old, original 8-bit (kit--as in you built them yourself most times) systems, before the Zilog Z-80 took over the 8-bit field(used in the KayPro, Osborne and other CP/M systems).

Otherwise, excellent line of thinking. A good, solid source of technical information on the processor lineages would be very helpful.

Cut my assembler teeth on Z-80.

Banned
    geepod ... didnt i post the link just one post above yours ¿¿¿
    and rapier ...i also said that the 4004 was the first ..but the rest of the info was good

I got some flashbacks to the 80's

me and my uber 1337 286 12Mhz...

all my friends were still using 8086's and didn't have VGA !

yeah.. life was great !!

now back to the computer history:

get me a 8080

btw you people forgot the 80186 featured in the tandy 2000
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

MemorY yes you did post the link one post above mine but seeing as you asked i actiually posted it on the first page of the thread ! nont hat it really matters as long as people got it.

Dunno whether you negged me for that but someone did, strange people ! just thought i was being helpful that was all, never mind no pleasing some people.

anyway good post and some interesting history that came flooding back with memories of processors gone by !
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously