Thread: Wot could I do with a NetBios Null session?

Wot could I do with a NetBios Null session?

They told me that a Null session is sending a null for the user name and password when establishing a connection to the ipc$ (Inter Process Communication) pipe. And they said I'm able to establish a null session they can gain lists of user names, shares, etc...

But how can I do that?

Just Another Geek
    Check the archives. There are probably a few tutorials/postings covering this topic.

Oh i also have another rule for you to add to your signature:

I must learn to search the OA archives before asking questions.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...=null+sessions
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes, you can enumerate accounts via $IPC null sessions. This includes domain accounts should you be lucky enough to attempt this in a MS domain. However, there is also something else you can do, and that is go to jail. Think about what you are doing before you go running amuck on a network because people like me (and others here) are just waiting for people like you to step out of line on our networks.

When asking questions, be clear about your intentions. If you ask a question like yours, it immediately smells of malicious intent. Try explaining your situation:

"Hi, I'm a junior tech and I was told about account enumeration via $IPC shares. I have been given the task of identifying machines that are serving up these shares. Are there tools to identify this and what can I do to close this hole?"

Behave in this fashion and you will reap all the benefits this site has to offer.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader

because people like me (and others here) are just waiting for people like you to step out of line on our networks.
    Hoss: You have never said a truer word my friend......

From this sysadmin's POV it's..... C'mon down skiddies..... Wanna play with my network from the inside...... Ohhhhh..... I have dreams about this...... "Pick yer window son.... Y'er Leavin'..." <LOL>

PS: Did we watch Platoon recently.... (your sig is a line from that)....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Rhino 9 prodcued a paper some time back which provided some detail on null sessions so that might be useful to you. ( I think the paper was entitled Windows hacking, or something similar). Also I suspect that any article on attacking Windows will provide coverage of this topic.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Hi, I'm a junior tech and I was told about account enumeration via $IPC shares. I have been given the task of identifying machines that are serving up these shares. Are there tools to identify this and what can I do to close this hole?

I am a Analyser, I know how 2 close is by editing .reg file. I'm just a little bit curious about how the crackers do.
    Any way... thank you all.

The Recidivist
    boomwoody, your not to quick are you? I mean the wheel is spinning, but the gerbil is dead man.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

The mighty google knows all.
    "NetBios Null Session"
    I have answered you, now you must write 'I will not use NetBios for evil' one hundred times.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

hoho, Maestr0 is a googler