Trick OS specific Installers

Thread: Trick OS specific Installers

Trick Windows 2k app installers to install on 9x flavors

Im trying to install some apps that arnt exactly system specific, but say they need win2k to install. Im trying to install them on my winME machine (ya ya, i still like ME), but the installer detects(?) winME and wont even begin to install. Is there a way to trick the install prog into thinking one operating system is another?
    Thanks.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Moved from Antionline: How do I? to General Chit Chat**
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

its not a conspircy! software mfgs aren't trying to force you to buy win2k. windows ME is just a dressed up win98 if you could trick the installer which is probably looking for specific files and checking their versions, the apps wouldn't run anyway. in win2k ms put allot more functionality into their APIs. programmers can do more with less code...its easier for them. if it says "requires win2k or better" its because it does
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I've gotten so much junk to work on my winME machine that was "win2k" specific, so i wont be satisfied until i try it and it doesnt work. I dont exactly trust the software, hence its not goin on my win2k servers.

Put VMWare on your WinME machine and install 2K as a virtual machine, then install the software in there, and voila you have the software running on your WinME system.

Anyways I would suggest you delete either this thread or the other one before you get negged for repetitive threads.

ya, sorry about the dup, but it wont let me delete it...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Dup thread merged with this one. Excess posts deleted**
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage