Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Network Issue

Unhappy Home Network Issue

Howdy AO's, I have a two computer mini LAN. My two comps connect to the router via wired.
    When I double click My Network directory I cant see the other comp vice versa. I am running WIN XP and yes I have already created unique ID's for each comp. The router is Belkin.
    boo hoo I miss my Siemens.

XP blocks sharing by default, you need to enabled file and printer sharing on the machines, make sure they are both on the same subnet and ip addressing scheme, as well as workgroup, and it should work fine.

maybe its the IPs. Choose your own IPs not the auto-IPs of WinXP.

ahh yes how do you do that again its been awhile?

find from the Control Panel the icon of Network Connections. Inside that there are the connections you have created. Find your LAN connection. Disable it. And then right click again on it and left click on Properties. Find the item called Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select it and click on Properties button. Then choose "Use the following IP addresses:" and then it's up to you to choose the IP addresses. The form of the addresses is 192.168.000.### or from 192.168.000.001 to 192.168.000.255 The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and leave the other blank.

Thanx bro, nice instructions!

you're welcome.

How do you enable file and printer sharing on Windows XP?

find from the Control Panel the icon of Network Connections. Inside that there are the connections you have created. Find your LAN connection. Disable it. And then right click again on it and left click on Properties. Then if there isn't on the items one called:"File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" press install button, then select service and then File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

Wink

also check firewall check. i think with dhcp enabled you won't see the other, its true you need to assign ip's. did it work?? im courious