Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Novell Netware flaws...

Old Novell Netware flaws...

In case somebody thinks this is in the wrong place, whatever, it made sense to post it here.

My school runs on Win 95 machines, each of them with Novell Netware 3.3x on them. One day I forgot my password and decided to test the system. After a bit of fiddling around, I found you could hot-open the Tasks menu (on the computer, the combo was Ctrl+Alt, then Win key) and run programs from there (albeit slowly). I'd even have net access from this method! Near anonymous net access! I've tried this on a number of other terminals, but the hot-key wasn't the same. Anyone know other ways to bypass 3.3x or other combos for the Tasks box?

PS: Dont call me lazy for not going to the admin to get my pass. That's not really the point of hacking (well, in this case, otherwise I would of never found this; Also, can somebody tell me how to *edited from previous* access locked controls like Display (no stabby please) , some terminals are really messed up in the rez...)

Hmmm

"Novell 3.3 + Win95"

You will never be a hacker..............guess you will be in an old folks home before you catch up

What you must remember is that Win95 is a stand alone desktop OS with some networking capability? It does not compare with NT from a security aspect. What I think is happening is that you are running on your local machine (which I seem to recall caused a considerable delay) and might be able to make limited network connections?

As for screen resolution: on the desktop, stick the cursor in a free area and right mouseclick, then select <properties> from the pop-up.

Cheers

maybe I should clarify...

the machine is running Win 95 (or some variant... 98 or me, but most likely 95) however its using a NetWare login prompt

As for the r-clik, nice idea, but don't u think i didnt try that?

Next in line, don't judge or insult (reference to that "never a hacker" thing) without proper evidence; that brings ppl with torches to your door (or vice versa, if i was a hideous green monster with a speech impediment).

Anyways, that was kinda off topic, your last post, but i guess it was due to inadequate info. Now, with that out of the way, could you at least help me with the tasks problem?

to !: ive been running through google the past couple of weeks and im quite tired of the junkers popping up every ten links, so thats out...
    At least for a week...

Edit: NetWare prompt blocks the r-click thing, not really a problem...
    Edit again (twice in a row on two different boards...): The comps are running Win 95
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit hopefully for the last time: some people took this thread as a threat. I'd like to mention I was trying this to fix the numerous flaws in the computers created by user abusion (the resolution problem), and usually, in my case, always, my pleas for assistance go unnoticed by EVERYONE and therefore leave me to go out and repair the problems. I only really keep this backdoor for the other benefeits so I can handle the repair instead of waiting until next year to have the problem fixed ONLY to find more computers wrecked, my backdoor shut off, and the admin shunning me, as well as me outta the class for which i asked the maints for, meaning i dont recieve the benefeit for which i asked for, which means i'd just be better off doing it myself, so to the people whining at me, dont, its just wasted breath. For those against me for acting as a hacker, that sorta kills the point of being a SECURITY BOARD.

Got tired of edits; now im expecting some flames flying at me, so just hold it, help me, and ill be on my way for a while. Thank you (to all the understanding people).

Originally posted here by Chronomaster
    Got tired of edits; now im expecting some flames flying at me, so just hold it, help me, and ill be on my way for a while. Thank you (to all the understanding people).
    Flames? For what? When you sat there at the computer and decided "What the hell, I don't remember my password...Hmm, curiousity giving in, oh look I discovered something without my book"

that was appluadable. You should have stayed with that. But when you went on to ask about picking the admin locks.... That's where you left us. Well me anyway. You have that hacker's curiousity, now use it for something good.

Become friends with the admin. You don't need to be accessing things they have locked up. If it's locked up, leave it that way. BUT, go and play with the lock, if you can get it open, go tell the admin about it.

Discovering security holes, wether some like it or not, is hacking. Well a form of it anyway. The admin for my college is in a class I take, and we get along just fine. My whole set of school mates and teachers all know what I like to do in computing, but not only do they tell me they trust me, but one of my teachers said if I got into trouble at school for something hacking related, he would get me out of trouble and say it was for a project.

They trust me and know I won't do something stupid. and if I do break something they also know I would be there to help fix it. I'm also very good friends with the student admin guy. He's a Debian Linux user and we talk when we get a chance.

We talk about alot. Just tonight I was drooling over an old UNIX manual we have at school, and he was telling me some of the other things we have. We have a couple of older machines and the books for them and I love it.

My teacher let me borrow an older book tonight that I found on the shelves in my classroom. We have about 50 Novell books up there, some old MS-DOS 6.2 manuals, still in the wrapper, and a book called "UNIX for DOS users". Which is what I burrowed.

Instead of leaving this website because some people don't like your learning style; Howabout staying and learning with us? Also, go tell the admin how you were able to run things without logging in.

Unless the admin is a complete **** up he may appreciate the heads up. Also, try talking to him or her, they may appreciate a student actually caring about learning technology. You may even be able to do what I did about 2 years ago; Be the computer helper.

Instead of calling up some techs, they would call me out of class to fix things around school.

I don't see why you were flamed for wanting to fix the display. Most school machines are runnin at like 1024x768, with the screen size at about 800x600.

---God pulls a miracle, and now I feel wanted---

Thanx for killing that bad feeling for me, I sensed a little apathy heading my way, so thanks. I live down in Georgia, so there's no real computer sociality here. I once announced I was a hacker in 2-3 different classes, and I got the same result: one hell of an uproar, with the teacher in shock; now just imagine if I walked up to my admin, him with possibly the wrong idea (def.) of a hacker; i'd have the rent-a-cop in my school on my ass like... a rent-a-cop at my school on my ass.

I'll try to talk to him, hopefully i'll get some attention here (and some experience, working on the same terminal isn't working for me), as for the flaw, ill decide on whether to keep that to myself by surveying the tech-savy in the classes I *try* to use it in, if there are any...

Speaking of terminals, I have a laptop with a fresh install of Debian. The motherboard is from SiS and I can't get X to work (screen does a wierd burn-in from green to purple). Anyone care to give this one a shot, even if its off topic...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lesson for the post: Don't judge someone new by his post... please don't.

Edit (off topic, and yet again another edit): Got any distro suggestions ever since Red Hat closed off its consumers, I need something good, so I thought Debian would be a good way to go.
    -----------------------
    Edit, for those giving me the negative points: Geez, lamers. Can't take an idea? Maximum Security is CREATED by hackers exploiting flaws. Otw, we'd live in an microsoft world, with a single foreigner breaking our windows with the baseball bat of DoS. Honestly, it's like they're scared of me and they...
    1. Want to kill me.
    2. Want me to kill them (which, of course, I will not do...)
    Please, people, have some trust in what I say, and stop trying to stab me all cloak-&-Dagger like; post it in public if you got a problem...

I think what people here did NOT like was the whole break into the admin thing you said. I really doubt any of them read WHAT you wanted to break into. The words "Break into admin" usually set off the warning flag on here. I went ahead and read the rest of your post though.

I go to college, and in college, high school...Any school, the resolution is always ****ed on those for some reason. I see no reason why you got such a bad reaction. If people actually read what you were saying I doubt you would'v been negged so bad for it.

don't take the bad reaction as something that everyone at AntiOnline acts like. Not everyone is like that. But, you should click on the edit button on your post, and edit the part off where you talk about breaking into the part where you can change the resolution.

If you ask the admin if you can fix the resolution, most won't have a huge problem with that. also, if you're looking for a good Linux dostro, go to http://;www.suse.com and look around there. If you have a Best Buy near you, you should be able to find it there for a decent price.

The SiS problem is mainly I think because it is more of a Windows style of hardware. Well at least that is what I get from the fact that the Sis cards in this Pc are integrated ****. Which is why I bought an Nvidia 128 MB card for this.

If you don't have a way to get money for SuSE Linux, go to http://www.linuxiso.org and check out Libranet Linux. It is a Debian based distro and is awesome. also, Mandrake Linux is also great with hardware.

And remember; Slackware is there too If you liked Redhat Linux, go for Fedora, it's MUCH better. No stupid signing up for an account.

For good Linux and BSD distros in no particular order:

SuSE Linux.

Libranet.

Slackware.

Free BSD.

Mandrake.

Fedora.

ASP Linux...Which I am installing right now.

http://www.linuxiso.org

Go look around there. They have ALOT to choose from.

Fedora's free, er, I can get it (lack of page-sleuthing apparent here)???

Besides that... hmm...
    Right, Tasks, does someone know how to open it with other hotkey combos?
    Right...
    OH!!! I'd really be convinced that not everyone here is a fLamer if they all weren't in the senior range
    PS: Dont take the lamer part seriously by bombing me anymore; thats what makes everyone think you're an ass... And a forewarn, i'll start posting the bombs with the name and word-for-word reason (or lack thereof) with my posts. Hopefully the message'll get out...

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by Chronomaster
    PS: Dont take the lamer part seriously by bombing me anymore; thats what makes everyone think you're an ass... And a forewarn, i'll start posting the bombs with the name and word-for-word reason (or lack thereof) with my posts. Hopefully the message'll get out...
    That's just going to get you some negs with some really funny reasons so that when you post them everyone laughs. Back on task, I don't know of any other hot keys to get to the tasks. Sorry.