Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hidden ip on IRC?

hidden ip on IRC?

im looking for a way to hide my ip on irc i tried they /mode UserName +x but it still dosent work.
    i use mIRC if that helps

Well , You can always use a proxy service , or you can go through a wingate.But watch it , some irc servers watch closely if you are trying to hide your ip or not.So I wouldn't do it unless you need to.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

First off, if your trying to hide your IP from the admins, a proxy is the only thing you can do, and as n01100110 said, some irc servers dont like that. If its other users of the server your worried about, you might take some comfort in the fact that most irc servers offer the option to mask your IP from the prying eyes of most users. A /msg to an admin or oper should be enough to find out if they mask users IPs.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, you could use Proxy's like said before, and set +wx on yourself, other than that, you would either have to use an BNC, or get an oper to either change you host, or settup auto +wx....that is pretty much all I can think of.

a bnc?

What's bnc?

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak

Normally someone who sets up a server configures it so its clients don't expose IP's or entire hostmasks. It normally does the masking for you...
    That's why often you see somenone connected with an ip for.ex. GHDJKS.DHSJ.IP and if you connect via proxies, the hostmask will partly encrypted, like mine would be @FFJKFJKL78054kabel.telenet.be.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Bah, its rubbish to try to hide, you can run, but you cant hide. I really recomend you SECURE your system and dont waste time trying to hide. If you wanna hide, then dont go online. This site here will help you learn and understand how to secure your yourself. But stop the proxies, and the hiding ****. Hiding is not security related, and it does NOT secure you in any way.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Originally posted here by instronics
    Bah, its rubbish to try to hide, you can run, but you cant hide. I really recomend you SECURE your system and dont waste time trying to hide. If you wanna hide, then dont go online. This site here will help you learn and understand how to secure your yourself. But stop the proxies, and the hiding ****. Hiding is not security related, and it does NOT secure you in any way.

Cheers.
    heh sorry for making a thread

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Noooooo, heh, dont be sorry. Never be sorry. The thread is perfectly ok, your just asking a question. I didnt mean to offend you or the thread in any way. I just added the fact that hiding has nothing todo with security. I recomend you secure yourself. Just my thoughts.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"