Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG! Micro$oft spying on us???

Talking OMG! Micro$oft spying on us???

hehe i expect you hotmail people to bite

suppose you use 2 or more hotmail accounts: one personal, one to register with web sites, etc............
    now here's an excerpt from a hotmail html session info exchanged between Outlook Express and the hotmail server when you try to read your email from any ONE of your mailboxes:
    <<----------------------------------------------------
    5/31/2003 21:39:16 From Local
    PROPFIND http://bay7.oe.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/h...l.com/folders/ HTTP/1.0
    Depth: 1,noroot
    Content-Type: text/xml
    Brief: t
    X-Timestamp: folders=1454282897,ACTIVE=1154213110
    Accept-CharSet: Windows-1252
    User-Agent: Outlook-Express/5.5 (MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0; TmstmpExt)
    Host: bay7.oe.hotmail.com
    Content-Length: 265
    Pragma: no-cache
    Cookie: MSPAuth=4hUA2lNpiD6qjhDJT1wcXgEALW3mhEJWub5SHzhUL4zCGEV%21cYs6ViPDrN%21TVGKX9ULT4PzJswoYxY2yYbF5CtCw%24%24; MSPProf=4mOez%2aTDbCQYD2gzgk1Bf3kxO7PHCcv%21xDh6Q069il%21FzjbzrAQhJAUtvX9nPobu4hVCDICzEIz8eiqIVt5pJlK36iRUlLSWUws92jFIuKGHNJMda%21%2aEok4CVLAmFk7XgOVOx4dx%21UlRx4UG1IFtAgbpmJJcdgmmEySsGiW47doa0%24; HMSatchmo=0; HMSC0899=217FIRST_ACCOUNT%40hotmail%2ecomWIbELz9AkdTZTDj8CbwAx%2aSFIQ%2aU%2a646cMGvbmpTjqQ9uS1D228LNCQ%21tqMV71uxliQ4tBC9s4s%2aLRmakGW%2150%2aajA7KyJI%21vMM%2aYdzJ7kxkpSzm6o76mGPla5ry6opdCHyWvplGDh2zhXQK7WHxjfkhlZiApuC1TkqP7E6VJ2hRsFnPsj7gM1Cgr1FRwWVnnMoELj5cnp6i05tJ6En3UAVMb3%2ad52XQbXukjglUs%21eT%21n7E8CIud3dk1ew9LVmsI0cfWZa4t77vYqVCLOIS5GU5fXYqrMozdcehJP9QfijBrvdRwf1ypsGOBLoeV4wnD9agDvay7%21k9NMjtAJbhiLsw9NglVKnDXp0VSk7jBCd5v8OhTEywOO%21%2aQ78OWLvio1qy7o2DPTUyx5lKaBuwNA%24%24; HMSatchmo=0; HMMS2954=26ECB06078A512C3483E507574F73AF6B68BCAFEE62CA167C697355E91D72ED43135033ED213E8EE0064AF8762B90591DDC8854050DF1F6DF5750106B447B0DBA7F81CF1DBDDF57C; OE_UserSECOND_ACCOUNT_hotmail.com=1154520116; OE_UserTHIRD_ACCOUNT_hotmail.com=1152551481; OE_UserFIRST_ACCOUNT_hotmail.com=1254534247
    Authorization: Digest username="FIRST_ACCOUNT@hotmail.com", realm="hotmail.com", qop="auth", algorithm="MD5", uri="/cgi-bin/hmdata/FIRST_ACCOUNT@hotmail.com/folders/", nonce="MTA1NDQyNzg3MjoyNzMwMjYyZjY4YjhjYzY5YTdjMjc4N2MxZWRiNDQxYw==", nc=00000002, cnonce="995921b29b3857b130ec13aed2bb99d1", response="182b7d2bebeaf41e563bdeb55e51ca59"
    Proxy-Connection: Close
    Connection: Close
    ---------------------------------------------------->>
    you may notice that I have three accounts with hotmail, and for some reason, information about ALL of them is sent to the server when I've only requested to check the email of ONE account!

why is all this info sent together i wonder??

Banned
    I would imagine it's another reason to clear your cookies after the end of a session?

And remember to be prompt or Decline third party cookies. Ads and things like that.

hmmmm....gonna scan microsoft for that.. :P
    B|nTaRa a.k.a s3tup

Humm... Ok, maybe it's just me but I don't see what you're complaining about?!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

The Iceman Cometh
    you may notice that I have three accounts with hotmail, and for some reason, information about ALL of them is sent to the server when I've only requested to check the email of ONE account!

why is all this info sent together i wonder??
    It has to do with how Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express handles web-based accounts. It's not that they're spying on you (well, at least not in the way that you seem to think), but it's simply how the program keeps track of which Hotmail account is being accessed.

AJ

Originally posted here by ammo
    Humm... Ok, maybe it's just me but I don't see what you're complaining about?!

Ammo
    sorry i thought it was pretty obvious.

most people use hotmail to stay anonymous so they don't want their true identity to be associated with any of their "anonymous" hotmail accounts.

i use 2 "anonymous" hotmail accounts and another one that holds my real name before the @ sign.

i wish microsoft would respect my privacy and not gather information about my real identity by associating the email address that holds my real name with all the other so-called "anonymous" email addresses.

when i try to check my email from my "true" mailbox, outlook sends information about all other accounts that i have with them, including the "anonymous" ones which allows them to associate the real you with the anonymous emails and could help them to create your profile by monitoring all emails that you receive in all mailboxes.

i think outlook should limit itself to sending information about the mailbox that i'm checking, and not about all my accounts at once, since i was specifically requested only one mailbox to be checked.

i hope this clarifies my point

Hum, right...
    Don't you think that if they really wanted to "profile" and spy on you they'd just cross-reference your IP with account logons?
    I mean, jumping from "OE logs on to all hotmail accounts at once" to "OMG MS is spying on me!!!" is a pretty big step to make...

Besides, if you're really so worried about your pricacy, you might want to read the privacy statements from msn and ms passport ... You might not want to use hotmail at all after that!

Anyways...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Besides, if you're really so worried about your pricacy, you might want to read the privacy statements from msn and ms passport ... You might not want to use hotmail at all after that!

Your right.....M$N has (by their privacy statement) the right to use, make use of, almost anything you post, store, or transmit over M$N networks.

They also track your useage of their products, such as the Windows Media Player.

Your right.....M$N has (by their privacy statement) the right to use, make use of, almost anything you post, store, or transmit over M$N networks.

They also track your useage of their products, such as the Windows Media Player.

They also track your useage of their products, such as the Windows Media Player

Sorry....I'll get it right -- one of these days

You have to remember that when you access a particular domain all cookies from that domain will be stored in one place.
    So if you access hotmail.com and login. The login information ( if you click on Remember me) will store the info to your browser's cookie.
    Any other access to hotmail.com will always use the same cookie file which means all info is stored on the same cookie. The system all that it does is use these cookies to remember you.
    Maybe you should either
    a. use no cookies for that site.
    b. look at your prefs in your hotmail account.
    c. Use different browsers to view different sites
    d. Delete your cookies for M$N.