Is your Computer Secure?

If you are on line weather you use a modem or a full time connection to the net, you should be aware that there are many computer crackers or cyber terrorist out there that want to cause you all sorts of grief. There are many options out there to protect your online access. The new Windows OS called XP, has a built in firewall, but it is usually not activated when installed. The older Windows operating systems like 95/98 or ME, you can get a free utility called Zone Alarm, from www.zonealarm.com and install it on your computer.

Some hi-speed full time connected systems are inherently un-secure and you should use both a hardware and software firewall. Most of the ADSL modems/routers in use in the Jamestown area already have a built in hardware firewall, unless the modem/router is improperly configured. See the list below. Depending on your needs, ADSL/Cable Firewall routers can be purchased for under $100.

ADSL Modems with a Firewall ADSL Modems without a Firewall
Cisco 677 Speedstream 5200
Cisco 678 Pairgain Megabit 500, 600 and 700
*Speedstream 5660 and most cable modems
*Speedstream 5667
*Speedstream models are somewhat deceptive and may not contain a NAT type of Firewall

With the advent of cheep WAP (wireless access point) devices for the home and office network environment, the use of open un-encrypted computer communications has been a real problem. The use of WEP (wireless encrypted protocol) by the end user is a must and using the 128 bit and a long encoding password should always be used. I personally do not think that WEP is fully secure and till it is, should not be used in a commercial environment, no matter what is seen on TV. The use of WEP in a doctors or hospital environment is totally out of the question until WEP has a better than 128 bit and anti-sniffing abilities built in.

I have seen a number of un-secure computer systems in the WNY and NWPA area, from personal to private companies, to a Doctors computer, even an ISP’s FTP server that was open to the net. Where anyone can steal information or cause damage. And this can be done with very simple programs that are available on the net or right from the installed tools on his/her computer, and the cracker does not need to have much in computer expertise to have “fun” at the computer owners’ expense.

Just think, If a cracker had full access to your computer, the following information can be available, your login information for other websites, credit card info, medical info, and much more. I can think of many other bits of info that is available on your computer including your e-mail to web browsing habits.

Other problems with security can be due to a computer viruses and Trojans. A computer owner can unwittingly install a program called a Trojan Horse that can give a cracker full control over your system. You could be unwittingly supplying these crackers or even cyber terrorist a method of using your computer to attack other computer systems and websites, even if you use just a dial up and not ADSL/cable. Just remember to keep your virus scanning program updated they will detect most of the viruses and Trojans out there.

Some ISP’s use a Virus wall and will attempt to protect you from the e-mail viruses out there, but do not always depend on the ISP’s virus wall to protect you. You must also remember never open up any attachments sent to you unless you scan it with a virus scanner and if it comes from someone you know and you are expecting it…. Even then I would be careful because you never know.

There is a lot of information on the net, including the following sites, www.antionline.com and www.grc.com . There also are a number of newsgroups available, such as news://news.grc.com . And remember to also keep your Operating System updated, weather you use Microsoft Windows, Mac or even Linux, it is free and can help keep your computer secure.

Remember to always practice safe computing. It may save you a service call!