Thread: Is your comput

Red face Is your comput

Is your Computer Secure?

If you are on line weather you use a modem or a full time connection to the net, you should be aware that there are many computer crackers or cyber terrorist out there that want to cause you all sorts of grief. There are many options out there to protect your online access. The new Windows OS called XP, has a built in firewall, but it is usually not activated when installed. The older Windows operating systems like 95/98 or ME, you can get a free utility called Zone Alarm, from www.zonealarm.com and install it on your computer.

Some hi-speed full time connected systems are inherently un-secure and you should use both a hardware and software firewall. Most of the ADSL modems/routers in use in the Jamestown area already have a built in hardware firewall, unless the modem/router is improperly configured. See the list below. Depending on your needs, ADSL/Cable Firewall routers can be purchased for under $100.

ADSL Modems with a Firewall ADSL Modems without a Firewall
    Cisco 677 Speedstream 5200
    Cisco 678 Pairgain Megabit 500, 600 and 700
    *Speedstream 5660 and most cable modems
    *Speedstream 5667
    *Speedstream models are somewhat deceptive and may not contain a NAT type of Firewall

With the advent of cheep WAP (wireless access point) devices for the home and office network environment, the use of open un-encrypted computer communications has been a real problem. The use of WEP (wireless encrypted protocol) by the end user is a must and using the 128 bit and a long encoding password should always be used. I personally do not think that WEP is fully secure and till it is, should not be used in a commercial environment, no matter what is seen on TV. The use of WEP in a doctors or hospital environment is totally out of the question until WEP has a better than 128 bit and anti-sniffing abilities built in.

I have seen a number of un-secure computer systems in the WNY and NWPA area, from personal to private companies, to a Doctors computer, even an ISP’s FTP server that was open to the net. Where anyone can steal information or cause damage. And this can be done with very simple programs that are available on the net or right from the installed tools on his/her computer, and the cracker does not need to have much in computer expertise to have “fun” at the computer owners’ expense.

Just think, If a cracker had full access to your computer, the following information can be available, your login information for other websites, credit card info, medical info, and much more. I can think of many other bits of info that is available on your computer including your e-mail to web browsing habits.

Other problems with security can be due to a computer viruses and Trojans. A computer owner can unwittingly install a program called a Trojan Horse that can give a cracker full control over your system. You could be unwittingly supplying these crackers or even cyber terrorist a method of using your computer to attack other computer systems and websites, even if you use just a dial up and not ADSL/cable. Just remember to keep your virus scanning program updated they will detect most of the viruses and Trojans out there.

Some ISP’s use a Virus wall and will attempt to protect you from the e-mail viruses out there, but do not always depend on the ISP’s virus wall to protect you. You must also remember never open up any attachments sent to you unless you scan it with a virus scanner and if it comes from someone you know and you are expecting it…. Even then I would be careful because you never know.

There is a lot of information on the net, including the following sites, www.antionline.com and www.grc.com . There also are a number of newsgroups available, such as news://news.grc.com . And remember to also keep your Operating System updated, weather you use Microsoft Windows, Mac or even Linux, it is free and can help keep your computer secure.

Remember to always practice safe computing. It may save you a service call!
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Thank for this really good thread....I have DSL an anytime i am in the internet some stupid guys scan my computer and mail me trojans...i hope it will help me to be secured

Dead Man Walking
    Just a quick note. the default firewall in windows Xp should never be enabled. Its a waste of memory. Just download zonealarm or any of the other firewalls floating around out there and leave the xp firewall alone. I cant believe somebody actualy recomened using it. wow. other than that fairly decent material. One other question though. Why did you link to this site in your post? we are allready here why do we need the link?

The Iceman Cometh
    One other question though. Why did you link to this site in your post? we are allready here why do we need the link?
    'cuz either a) he didn't write the article, instead taking it from some site and posting it here, or b) he wrote said article for another site and decided to post it here (which, if I'm not mistaken, is still considered illegal according to the DMCA unless you cite where you originally posted it). Either way, it doesn't look like it was written for this site.

AJ

I wrote it !!!

I did not steel it....
    I wrote it up on my word processor....
    I have been screwed by my former ISP
    because they did not have security.

http://www10.brinkster.com/cecomet/

That is why I got into learning more about security.
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Dead Man Walking
    The only person to blame if you have a security problem is you. Its not the isp's job to make sure your system is secure any more than it is the car dealers job to make sure you drive a car you buy from them in a safe manor. Now that is an unfortunate situation described on the link you posted but it does not really have anything to do with the information you posted. A web hosts security and a personal computers security while being based on the same principal are diferent. Just as a matter of curiosity, what was the final disposition of the legal proceedings? And like i asked before who besides microsoft ever recomened using the windows firewall? I would recomend getting a difrent source of information. I speak against the windows firewall for 1 major reason. LACK OF CONTROL. its either on or off. with zone alarm (my firewall of choice) it askes me before a program gains acsess to the internet. That way if i have been stupid enough to get a trojan it doesnt automaticaly get to send out any information.

Originally posted here by ZomBieMann77
    Just a quick note. the default firewall in windows Xp should never be enabled. Its a waste of memory. Just download zonealarm or any of the other firewalls floating around out there and leave the xp firewall alone.
    I was under the impression that ZA uses the XP firewall proggie to block incoming packets, even if'n you didn't enable the XP firewall!! I don't remember where I got the information, but I thought I had read that ZA just adds blockage of imcoming packets. . .could be wrong, though.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Originally posted here by bludgeon

I was under the impression that ZA uses the XP firewall proggie to block incoming packets, even if'n you didn't enable the XP firewall!! I don't remember where I got the information, but I thought I had read that ZA just adds blockage of imcoming packets. . .could be wrong, though.
    Well since ZA can be installed on Win9x, WinME, Win2K, WinXP it can't possibly use the XP firewall as part of its base in all situations, infact the 2K download is the same as the XP last time I checked so that would mean installing it on a 2K system would leave you at a serious disadvantage if this were true. Chances are someone suggest using the XP firewall in combination with ZA for a possible boost in security and not that the XP firewall was used by ZA. Either way ZA does all that the native XP firewall does and then some so ZomBieMann77 has a point in that it's more than likely just a waste of memory to have it running on top of another decent firewall such as ZA or Tiny..
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

I would use a router from netgear or linksys or even cisco That blocks alot of script kiddie scans. I noticed alot less alerts when I hooked up the router so if you have the money I would invest in one. If you do buy one make sure you change the default password to something that is very hard to crack

Banned
    good poste Highlander, keep senden em.