Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo10 better than Google?

Question Turbo10 better than Google?

I was browsing The Register and saw this article. Interestingly enough, the search engine BETA was down when I looked at it, so there was no way for me to see for myself if the engine is better or not.

You're not going to believe this, but a new search engine has just appeared and, well, it may be better than Google.

Obviously, that sounds slightly ridiculous but after having spent a day devising weird and wonderful searches and comparisons, not only has it stood up to the test but it's so good that you realise how much of an effect Google has had on your thinking when it comes to searching the Net.
    This is a big claim to live up to, as I have not seen any search engine better than Google. Here is the site: http://turbo10.com/ when it is up, maybe you guys can take a gander and see if these guys can really out-do Google.

Personally? I am sceptical, and with the site down, I am disappointed already.

Jack

turbo01

Pay to add ur url..

that's sad..

well I'll check it out as soon as it is backonline . . .
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

well as of now it is down so it is in no way better then google.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Bah, how many of you people know how many wonderful functions google has? If google is used correctly, its unbeatable. Many people who dont find their results in google is because they do not know how to use it. Its more than just typing in a few words and hoping to get an exact hit. I will try that other search engine, but i doubt that it will be better. It might even goto google itself to get information

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Originally posted here by instronics
    Bah, how many of you people know how many wonderful functions google has? If google is used correctly, its unbeatable. Many people who dont find their results in google is because they do not know how to use it. Its more than just typing in a few words and hoping to get an exact hit. I will try that other search engine, but i doubt that it will be better. It might even goto google itself to get information

Cheers.
    So, basically, you could use the Turbo10 default setting (about, altavista, bbc, dmoz, encyclopaedia, goggle, msn, yahoo)
    Seems that it does use google for it's info..

Yes i also think that google is unbeatable.And also i google the well known search engine and it will be very difficult to be better than google.

With the sheer amount of pages on the net, and the efficiency of google at finding anything you need, no search engine, no matter how elaborate can simply state they are better than google, just doesn't make sense. In time, it could GROW to be better, but just like Broadband internet, it takes time to catch on.

Untill google stops listing those stupid BLogs I am finding webcrawler better then google for finding real information. Untill Google fixes the blog probelm this search will be better then it.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I think a new engine could rival Google, but how do you define "better than."

As bballad illustrates, different people have different opinions or ideas of what they want their searches to return. Based solely on what the top 10 sites returned for your search are one search engine may be "better" than another because their search algorithm may fit more with your way of thinking.

That said, if you delve another level down on Google and use the Advanced Search there is nothing you can't find. You can search for keywords, or specify keywords that CAN'T be in the results. You can search on a specific phrase. You can look for results only in a certain language, of a certain file type, a specific date range, or limit your search to only one domain.

You can use it as a tool to find out who is linked to a site (I use it to find out who is linked to my sites) by doing a search on results that are linked to a specific URL. You can also perform some topic-specific searches.

Other search engines may offer similar granularity, but I doubt there is anything you can't find on the Internet if you know how to use the Google advanced search properly.

For more info I recommend checking out this tutorial: Unraveling Google

I think it's like http://www.hotbot.com/