Thread: Networking Problems!!

Networking Problems!!

I have two computers that I am setting up to share one internet connection. I've been trying to set up one of the computes as a gateway with a network address of 192.168.0.1. The other computer I have has a network address of 192.168.0.2.

The probelm is that I can ping the host computer, but the host computer can not ping the client computer. I think that If I can get that worked out I can share the connection.

I did try using a router to share the dsl connection but never could get it to work. It would say that it was connected but no matter what I did it would not pull up a web page.

Heres my set up.
    Host computer
    Win 98 SE

I'm using a Nexland 4 port DSL/CABLE router to act as a swithc.

Client Comptuer
    Win XP Pro

Also does Win XP have a Network Neighborhood like Windows 2000, and 98 does. If it does I Have never had one come up on my desktop, and I do have File and printer sharing enabled.
    =

XP has My Network Places... it's the equiv to Network Neighbourhood...

I would go back to attempting to use the router for your DSL.....

ICS seems to have a huge problem with PPPoE at least in my experience. I went from cable (using ICS) to DSL, the only change was the connection to the internet threw the host computer and we couldn't get the connection to share. With cable you are actually on the network (1 IP for the NIC) and with a modem you are physically connected (1 IP for the modem).. With PPPoE you have your IP Address for your NIC and then the one assigned to the DSL Connection which seems to mess with ICS.

As for your inability to ping, check to make sure when you played with the Networking on XP that it didn't enable the builtin Firewall. If you ran Home Networking Wizard or whatever it's called then XP would have automatically enabled the firewall and that could be your issue.

You should have no problem setting-up the router. Simple set it to assign addresses to your clients, set both machines to DHCP and set-up the connection settings on the router.

Hope ya find this somewhat helpful.

I'll try the router again for my dsl, but my problem last time was that I could not connect to the internet through it. Both machines could ping the router and I was able to access the router from a browser but I just wasn't able to connect to the internet.

The built in firewall is not on but I forgot that I had Norton Firewall running at the time. Maybe that was the problem.

thanks for your help.
    =

u need to make sure your firewall on your host computer is set up to allow a trusted network on the ip of the client pc to access it, also how are you connecting to the net? dial up? or what? cause it might not be a good idea to set up static ip addresses if you plan on having no problems on broadband

i just noticed you said ur using xp pro as your client... WHY? if you just have the xp pro as the host and run the network setup wizard and also create a disk or use your cd for the win 98 se.....
    ﻸﻊ Ѕλﺝ| ® ﻍﮕ

Once I get this going I can configure the firewall to how I need it.

I connect using PPPoE DSL, and on the router It gives me the option to tell it that I connect using PPPoE DSL.

I did run the network setup wizard on XP and tried it on win 98 with a disk but it wouldn't work for me.

We need and newer computer there anyway so I'm gonna build another computer in place of that and put XP on it and then run ICS on it which I hope will take care of my connection problems.

I will keep working on the router problem though just because I paid $50.00 for it and would like to see it work.
    =