modem problem...

Thread: modem problem...

Question modem problem...

ok here is the deal.... I have a crap modem and it won't let me get on the net anymore.... I took my modem to a freind and it worked at his house but not at mine when I try to dial in at my house I get a "line busy error" but there is a dial tone and the modem does dial out.... my phone works on the same wall jack so what's my problem... should I get a new modem??? The guy I took the tower to configured something on my modem... any suggestions... if you guys need more info just ask... I really would like to solve this problem ASAP so I can get online at home.... Thanks for all the help in advance.

XTRA,

It sounds like wrong drivers to me, even more if it dials but gives you a busy-line afterwards. I mean, it sounds like you have some "maybe-compatible" drivers but not the correct ones. Anyway, what OS do you have? What modem do you have either?

Bye,

DKRR

PS: When modems get broken they sometimes seems to dial and give you a busy-line at the end but if you are telling us that in your friend's house it's working...

Have you tried dialing the number of the ISP your trying to connect through w/ your phone? If you dial their number and it's busy, there's you problem, otherwise I would think that it is probably the settings. . .do you have the proper country code set up? Have you tried unchecking the 'use area code' box? Most ISPs automatically assign IP and DNS information, are those checked under your DUN settings?? I'm assuming your using windows. . .if it's Win98 are you getting the line busy error when you double click on the ISP's icon or through Outlook? If you are try then connecting through IE, instead. . .HIH. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

this sounds all too familiar to me when i used to use an internal modem on my pc's, im assuming that its an internal modem because they are the sort that only work with their own special drivers...

this happened to me a couple of times when i used to use an internal modem, the only way that i could ever seem to fix it was to do a full format and reinstall of windoze.... no uninstalling of hardware / drivers / TCP / IP stacks would cure it

but back then i was very case shy *blushes* so it might not hurt for you to remove the modem from your case, uninstall it and any related software, then restart without the modem in the case / connected, then after youre sure anything related to that modem is gone, then and only then put your modem back in, restart and install it again, that should fix your problem, if not you may have to format...

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I solved a modem problem today with a dsl connection. It turned out to be the 5 ft cord between the wall jack and the modem. The thing would work fine for months then tell me I had no WAN connection. I've worked electronics for 25 years now and usually if a cable worked, it worked. Software and silicon can get intermittent but copper is either good or it's bad. Today rewrote that rule.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

My os is windos 98. I already uninstalled and re-installed the modem... didn't seem to work... the funny thing is that it worked w/ my old ISP then when I switched over it totally stopped working altogether and it did the same thing when I tried going back to my old ISP. I think I'm going to reformat the computer tonight.... nothing important was on the computer anyway... hopefully reformatting will help thanks for all the replies...