Stopping Computer Theft

Thread: Stopping Computer Theft

Banned

Stopping Computer Theft

Locking Up Your Computer

For many people, the most valuble part of the computer is the data actually in the drive. While this data may be very valuable, you cannot afford to lose the actual computer. Every year thousands of laptops and desktops are stolen or stripped of parts. To prevent theft, a person may use locking cables.

While this may slow down a thief, a determined one can bypass this means of security. Thisi can be done by using ordinary nail polish to dissolve the adhesives used to glue the cables to the comptuer, or by using a hammer to destroy security locks.

Other form of protection are disk-drive locks and computer covers. A disk-drive lock fits into the floppy drive and prevents from inserting a disk which can prevent other people from spreading virii, copying files or booting from a floppy. Computer covers often come in the form of metal shields that encase the computer and are used to stop a thief from opening the computer and removing valuable componets. This also adds bulk to the computer making it more difficult to steal.

Some places to buy security devices are:
    www.compu-gard.com
    www.computersecurity.com
    www.pcguardian.com
    www.security-solutions.com

An interesting security device is a method devised by Barracuda Security Devices(Barracudasecurity.com). Its a unique security product that works like an exploding dye capsule at the clothing store. The device fits into an internal expansion slot, and monitors the change of internal ambient light to signal when the case has been opened. If the cover is removed without entering the pin, the alarm sounds and ink is sprayed across all the internal components. So basically if it is still in it makes it worthless stolen, but there is always the risk of friends, family etc. opening it without the pin.

Protecting Your Laptop

When traveling with your laptop, the easiest and simplest way is to hide it. Think about it, walk through any airport and you'll see people carrying their laptops in their distinctive black carrying cases. Which is an easy target for a thief. Instead of putting it in a laptop bag, put it in a paper shopping bag, or disguise the laptop itself to throw thieves off.

Tracking Your Laptop

What if, despite your best effots, your laptop gets stolen anyways? One option is an alarm, like the one sold by Trackit(trackitcorp.com). Tracking alarms consist of two different parts, a sensor on your laptop and a sensor carried by the owner. The moment the laptop is seperated from the owned by a fixed distance, the alarm goes off.

Remote Tracking Services

Another method is a tracing program inside your computer. One tracing program is CyberAngel (sentryinc.com). The moment a thief turns on your computer and connect to the internet CyberAngel turns off the computers speakers and dials CyberAngel's Security Headquarters to trace the call and track down the computer.

Other tracing programs are:

AlertPC: http://www.alertpc.com

Computrace: http://www.computrace.com

PC PhoneHome: http://www.codexdatasystems.com

If all else fails, consider listing the computer serial number at the Stolen Computer Registry Web site (www.stolencomputers.org). This can also be used if your in the market for a used machine and do not want to buy a stolen one.
    Share on Google+

Welcome and thankyou this is great imformation this can save me 100's of dollors..... Hope I see around...

Cya --DZA--
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD
    Share on Google+

Dead Man Walking
    wow that looks almost word for word like a chapter out of "steal this computer book 2" . I could be wrong i dont have the book in front of me right now but i know ive read it somewhere else and i think thats it.
    Share on Google+

Hrmmm..... It is from That book (Chaper 19, page 363) But I think it is useful information!!!

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD
    Share on Google+

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Thread moved from Tutorials to General Chit Chat. Not original work**

And at the front of the book it says: "No part of this work may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any infrormation storage or retrieval system, without prior written permission of the copyright owner and the publisher".

Please don't plagarise. Please read the Legal Notices.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage
    Share on Google+