How to Ghost Windows XP from 1 HD to another HD?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Ghost Windows XP from 1 HD to another HD?

Question How to Ghost Windows XP from 1 HD to another HD?

I have a problem with my old HD windows XP, and I decide to copy all data to the new HD using Norton Ghost, but the problem is when I restart my pc using new HD, then my Windows went to blue Screen even i'm using same system, and the HD's brand is also the same.

Before this, I always Ghost another Windows Version but nothing is goes wrong....

Could anybody tell me how to do it.......

Please.....

i didn't particularly had a good experience with ghost, even though this is what we used to create "images". fortuantely for me, we've moved to building base packages. anyways, during our xp migration, we used a tool called alteris to copy all the settings to a centralized server and brought the image back to the new refreshed xp. i think there is a trialware you could use for short term. sorry couldn't be of much help, just my .02.

-w0rm3y

Thanks w0rm3y....

I'm appreciate your information... Could you tell me where i can get the tool?

JohnHACK

You gotta use Ghost 2000/2002 (it reads NTFS ver 5)
    I've been doing this for a while; and it works just fine

Thanks dcongram.... I'll try it...

Alteris is nice but $$$, the other option is PowerQuest ImageCenter. As to norton I read something similar to what you are describing on Symantecs site. Check your bios as well for anything that might not be compatible with the new drive/system. (i.e. SMART or Power Settings) Good Luck! (Took me days to figure out I needed to flash my Adaptec card bios to work with ghost)

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

depending on the blue screen you are seeing, you may be having the problem we were having with an older version of ghost. We used a program called Sysprep before ghosting. What this did was reset everything to think it's about to boot for the first time so that no previous settings for hardware are present. This is important especially if you are using a differernt hard drive then the one you are ghosting to. I can find more info on it if you need, just a thought though.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Symantec Ghost is good but I also Like PowerQuest DriveCopy. Take a look at it before you go with Ghost. PowerQest has a very good reputation and the interface is quite nice too!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

This is usually a problem with Windows XP Copy protection. What I had to do with my drive when I put it in my new box was format it

Thank to you all, your infomation is very useful.....

-XXX0-