Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kazaa worm (file won't delete)

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm using Win2K, but I could get to it from the command prompt but couldn't delete it. I'm making a boot disk now so I can try to boot to dos...

JO
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn\'t be called research, now would it?

This may sound a bit obvious, but have you checked your processes?
    If not, I would suggest that you first go into your task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and press the "processes" tab. Do a thorough search for the name of the specified file, or any file resembling that name.

If you do not see it, you can sort the processes by memory usage, or by cpu usage and see if any rouge files are eating up your resources that you do not recognize.

If you still fail to see the specified process, I would recommend getting this free tool from foundstone security: Vision 1.0 This program allows you to see pretty much everything going on within your system. You should be able to locate and disable the process allowing you to safely delete the file.

I agree with VanEck
    i did the same thing with my virus
    no need to boot to dos
    check the proceses and end the ones you think are the virus
    then you can go and delete the virus

the other way around if you did not end the task you couldn't delete it because it was still in use
    try that

Did I not just say that... in more words or less?

what file did you download from kazaa to start with i dont want to get that file and have the same problem.
    i allready had one that was acting funny "wolf3d(full version) becarefull if you down load that one
    [blur]Y R U U [/blur]

I thought I was downloading the movie "The Exorcist" kind of ironic - I guess it loaded a demon on to my machine.

Anyway, I got rid of the file. What I finally did was, someone had told me about PandaSoftware, where you can download a very small app and it scans your pc for viruses - and what do you know, it found one, after I had run Norton and McAfee and neither of them caught it. The only problem is it deleted the virus without giving me any information about it, so now I don't even know what it was. It also found three other files that it tagged as "suspicious" the app allows you to send those files to PandaSoftware and they will test them and if they are viruses and there is a fix for them they will send it to you in 24 hours.

Anyhow, after that I went back and deleted the directory it was in and that was it!! It deleted it. WOOHOO!!

So I thank everyone here who made comments and suggestions, no matter what worked and what didn't I definitely learned something it all.

Also if any of you are affiliated or know someone that is affiliated with PandaSoftware I thank them too!
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn\'t be called research, now would it?

thanks for the info about panda soft its checking my computer right now i hope it works

dont try 2 remove it from command promt , its stell inder the same OS , try del it from m$-dos , if its not workin , try 2 download some AV , i think that norton AV may help ...

Elite Hacker
    I don't know if it is the same thing but I have had files where if you click them kazaa freezes and you can't delete them from kazaa. What I did to get rid of them was just go to my computer then goto program files>kazaa>mysharedfolder and delete the file from there.
    That worked for me but I don't think I had a virus.
    Good luck
    edit
    oops, didn't know there was a second page
    my bad

Here's a 'stupid trick'. MOST virus' are written in 32bit mode.

If you start up in Safe mode (16 bit)....it is not active; and can be deleted

It's worked for me over and over again.