Thread: Home LAN Question

Home LAN Question

in my house I have a small network of three windows computers to share files and internet. two of the computers, computers a and b, are on the same floor and are connected via a switch. the third one, computer c, is on another floor and so it was easiest to network it with the host computer, computer a, by using a network card that connects via the phone line. So a is connected to b and c is connected to a, but is there anyway to connect b to c via a? any help would be apreciated.

I've never used those phone line network cards but wouldn't it be easier to just return the kit and drill a small hole in your floor and run a Cat5 threw it?

Old Fart
    hmmmmmm.....
    Which version of Windows? Networking functions differently from version to version so the more info you provide about the networked computers the more likely you are to get a helpful answer.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Originally posted here by allenb1963
    hmmmmmm.....
    Which version of Windows? Networking functions differently from version to version so the more info you provide about the networked computers the more likely you are to get a helpful answer.
    NO! - It doesn't matter what Version of Windows - he is probably on Win 95 - XP so there isn't any problem there because they are all basically the same - its just less user friendly as you go from xp to 95.
    If a, b, and c are all connected to a hub via CAT 5 then that would be the easiest way to get from a to c and from a to b and from b to c becuase they would all be connected.
    ))======0

((PONY ****))

May I just try to clarify ur question

u have a switch providinf a broadcast domain for 2 puter (a & b)
    u have a 3d puter (c) connected to a via network phone card. => a & c have each nework phone card.
    ur situation is a can transmit to b, a to c, but not b to c.
    Am I rigth?

ur question is:
    is there anyway to connect b to c via a?
    The answer is quite simple actually, puter a shall play the role of a router to provide connectivity between b & c.
    Even windows provides IP forwarding, and u can configure statics routes with the dos command "route add".

You need to define ur 2 private subnets to configure properly the "router", you can even use a DHCP server for the phone connection......

Have fun.
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

you have the situation right networker. i will look into what you said. thanks.

cire,
    I'm not a windows expert but I know for sure that in the case of NT, IP forwarding is not set as default.

For IP it seems to be a default function - You'll have to use the -p switch to declare the route as permanent and keep it after logoff
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]