Thread: HeadsUp**Lovegate.K

HeadsUp**Lovegate.K

Typical of some of the Av companies.. Sysmantec have just discovered Version K of the Lovgate Worm.. As it is a threat as a network aware worm, and not the only one, it is important for those not familure to follow the advice given..
    Most Importantly.. Only share the folders that are needed .. and No Extra's.. And If it dosen't impead your software, place passwords for any kind of Write access to the folders that are shared:

Here is the guff from Symantec

Wild: Low
    Damage: Medium
    Distribution: High

W32.HLLW.Lovgate.K@mm is a variant of W32.HLLW.Lovgate.I@mm. It has been repacked to make it difficult for existing antivirus software to detect.

W32.HLLW.Lovgate.K@mm is also a mass-mailing worm that attempts to email itself to all the email addresses it finds in the files whose extensions start with "ht." The subject and attachment of the incoming email are chosen from a predetermined list.

W32.HLLW.Lovgate.K@mm attempts to copy itself to all the computers on a local network, and then infect those computers. The worm also has Backdoor Trojan capabilities. By default, the Trojan component listens on port 10168.

If the infected computer runs Windows NT, 2000, or XP, the worm will attempt to disguise itself as the normal Windows process, "LSASS.EXE."

This threat is written in the C++ programming language and is compressed several times with ASPack.

Also Known As: I-Worm.LovGate.i [KAV], W32/Lovgate.l@M [McAfee]
    Variants: W32.HLLW.Lovgate.I@mm, W32.HLLW.Lovgate.J@mm
    Type: Worm
    Infection Length: 142,336 bytes
    Systems Affected: Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP
    Systems Not Affected: Windows 3.x, Microsoft IIS, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Linux

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

maybe someone can explain this to me. Symantec will sometimes give a heads up, but offer no definition updates for it.

Several times i've read a heads up, went to update my defs, and then watched as the update date became some date PRIOR to the date of the heads up...

anyone have any ideas as to why.... other than the traditional "they knew about it but couldn't program fast enough" they could at least put something lame out there to block the obvious filenames... if anything, this would somewhat work, and take about ten seconds to do.

thanks,
    -SK
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Liveupdate or smartupdate?

Liveupdate is normaly updated weekly (Wednesday)..
    Smartupdate .. as definitions are available..

Read the info on the security responce page on symantecs site..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr