Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to learn?

How to learn?

I have been trying to learn C/C++ and I was wondering what the best way to learn it is. A program? E-Book? Online Tutorials? Real book? How did some of you learn it and what way taught you the most and helped you retain it? Thanks in advance!
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

I read an intro tutorial on the net, and played with that and then just started looking at other peoples code and learning based on it. I find help files/man pages to always be beneficial.. usually more beneficial than anything else.

I'm sure you've seen the page before, and I know it's been posted on here... but here it is again. http://www.cprogramming.com/.

This was the page I used to find all my info, and google was also my best friend. I would have to say don't waste your money on a book, at least until you know you like the language and will stick with it. Then invest in a good book. I've never bought one for C/C++ so I can't recommend one but someone on here will.

In College We did the first 9 days of the book Teach yourself C. I Completed the book at home on my own time.

Then I started a project, to make a loto number program, that was supoed to give me a magic set of numbers, anyway it gave me alot of experince with nesting loops, if then else statements, and conditional statements. As well as practice with reading and writeing to file streams.

This I believe is the best way to learn, read a few examples then experiment. Your not gona learn if you just read. you need to play with things, experiment, and when things dont work is when you will learn. If the program works right away thats no good. If it does not work and you force yourself through it trying to find your mistake, thats the way to learn.

I had many fusterating days trying to find out why my program was not working, and when it finaly hit me, man I was so happy. And its this excitement that draws me to programming..

Thanks for the help...Ill try those ideas

Journy101: I already read that book..haha...its like 600 pages...

well first of all grab a book, be it real or E, doesnt matter, what matters is u reading it. after reading the book, look at the code of other people...this will give you a quick learning curve on writing good programs
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

I learnt it C from this book : Intro to C: a modular approach
    and thought it was well-written. But as said before, once you get a handle on it, start reading other people's work and maybe editing it, experimenting with new loops, variables.
    And never forget, it's should be fun.
    P.S: Stay away from those "_______ for Dummies" books ==>plain trash
    Hope this helps
    \"Great spirits always encounter strong opposition from mediocre minds.\"
    Albert Einstein

Ninja Code Monkey
    I started by just grabbing a book and reading/working through it. It all depends on your learning style....do you work better on your own or in a classroom environment?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Read the book "teach yourself C in 24hrs", then experiement.

C : Programming :: marijuana : Drugs

The gateway to bigger better things.

I like to work by myself...People are idoits when they come together in a group most of the time. Usually I read everything I can find...I read every computer book my library has...I made them order more from the College. lol