hope you guys enjoy my tutorial took me a while to write

HTRegz Enabling PPPoE As a Service in Windows XP Today 09:25 PM

| Assign Positive or Negative AntiPoints To This Post
HTRegz []
AntiOnline Senior Member

Tutorials Posted: 2

Mood: tired
Reason: Sleep?? I forget what that is... I've watched the sun come up everday this week
Mood Updated:
04-11-2003 05:20 AM

Enabling PPPoE As a Service in Windows XP posted Today 09:25 PM
(post #1)

Enabling PPPoE (DSL) as a Service in Windows XP.
By HTRegz

After responding to cheyenne1212's thread (http://www.antionline.com/showthrea...threadid=244551) on creating a batch file to automatically connect his DSL when he logs in, I started thinking about an easier way to do this. I came home from work and found that my power was out, which meant my website was offline... so I wanted a way to automatically connect when the system powers on. Here is a short tutorial on configuring your PPPoE connection as a service on your system in Windows XP. This could be easily modified and used to install anything as a service, but here it is specifically for PPPoE connections.

Files required:
rasdial.exe (Located in %systemroot%/system32/)
instsrv.exe (Located in zip at the end of this tutorial)
srvany.exe (Located in zip at the end of this tutorial)
regedit.exe (Located in %systemroot%/)

File Background
rasdial.exe - Starts a network connection using a specified entry.
instsrv.exe - Install a file as a service.
srvany.exe - Allows you to run any application as a service. srvany.exe is the service which loads the application.
regedit.exe - Allows a user to edit the registry (Use CAUTION with this Tool)

Step-by-Step Process

1) Extract the contents of the attached zip to %systemroot%/system32.
2) In a Command Prompt type instsrv <Service Name> %systemroot%/system32/srvany.exe. <Service Name> the name you want your new service to appear as in Services Panel (Located in Administrative Tools)
3) Using RegEdit.exe browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic
es\<Service Name>
4) Right click on <Service Name> and create a New Key. Name the key Parameters.
5) Right click inside the Paramaters key and create a new String Value. Name the value Application
6) Modify the Value Data so that it reads rasdial.exe <Connection Name> <username> <password>. **Note** You can obtain your <Connection Name> by right clicking on your PPPoE Connection shortcut and going to properties, then the shortcut tab. In the target box the portion after -d is your connection name.
7) Browse to Start --> Administrative Tools (All Programs --> Administrative Tools) --> Services. Scroll down to your <Service Name> and right click and click Start.
8) Congrats your PPPoE connection is now a service on your computer. By default it should be set to start automatically and will connect everytime you boot your computer.

Hopefully all you PPPoE users will find this beneficial, and those of you who want to create your own services might also find this helpful.

Peace
--HT