Thread: Question About PWS?

Question Question About PWS?

Hey All-

I have a Windows 98 machine with Microsoft Personal Web Server running constantly. Without stopping service, what are all the possible attacks that can occur through PWS?

*Thanks People*

-BorgCubes

Found an article her for you:
    http://www.securitytracker.com/alert...r/1001129.html

Since PWS isn't intended for public use (intended for testing on a secure computer), they don't focus too much on fixing the issues (at least that's what it sounds like to me).
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Banned
    Win98 has no security policy, as such even anon remote users run with the full power of a UN*X root. This is not effected by the web service software, although newer ones may have fewer known vulnerabilities. If security is a consideration at all it would be a good idea to switch to a discretionary protection system (UN*X, Linux, NT, VMS, etc) at least.

catch

Just Another Geek
    There isn't much difference between PWS and IIS. Alot of exploits for IIS work on PWS too.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

It seems that you want to host a website, but by keeping the costs to $0, it's better to use apache, it's free to download but is not that easy to configure. Sambar can also be a good idea, much more userfriendly. PWS doesn't give enough control I think.

Originally posted here by ha-lf
    It seems that you want to host a website, but by keeping the costs to $0, it's better to use apache, it's free to download but is not that easy to configure. Sambar can also be a good idea, much more userfriendly. PWS doesn't give enough control I think.
    BorgCubes is a windows user, you can't just tell him to download apache. If he were running linux, he wouldn't need to ask this question.

He could always try Apache for Win32..

Although failing that I`d suggest installing a personal firewall, thats a good security practice regardless of what you are doing (I`m assuming you just have one box and its connected to the net and hosting your web server). Next, try and isolate the Web server as much as you can on the box, place it on another drive if possible, just try to get if off the system partition. Apply any patches you can find. Keep a log of activity.

You could also look at using a cable modem/DSL router (if thats the kind of connection you have) and enforcing some security that way.

And even if you could only upgrade to a newer version of Windows that would be good. Whilst Linux et.al may offer more security there`s not much use in switching to those unless you a) want to and b) don`t mind having to learn a new OS (and of course while you learn it you could leave your machine open to even more holes).

All in all though Win 98 isn`t the best of choices to have so if you can get off then do so.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Hey-

Thanks for all the info! It's been a great help!