Thread: What Process can be ended in Windows XP?

Lightbulb What Process can be ended in Windows XP?

I want to know what processes can be ended pr disable in Windows XP in Windows Task Manager........ Could anybody can tell me ?

[shadow]JohnHACK needs help again..........[/shadow]

Banned
    Msmsgs.exe & realplay.exe are almost always on in a XP box. There are others you can end but it really deppends on what you have open on your comp. You might also want to remember to aviod ending systems and services stuff.

P.S. as soon as you restart your computer it'll be back on though. If you just want this stuff off of your startup then just checkout your registry but it can get rather screwy if you don't know what your doing around there though.

Banned
    also go to Run - > type in msconfig and go to Startup ... disable all the tasks which you dont need at startup ... that can prevent not so important processes to start up when you boot your comp....

i found a prog ..may be helpfull

Find out how many programs your computer is running at any given time with this shareware utility. A task manager lists all system processes and highlights vital ones in red. You can start, stop, and change the priority of each process.
    download it here : http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...id,7459,00.asp

i suppose with regard to system services in Windows XP this link should come handy..i can have the information regarding which ones are important and which ones you can disable safely...on the same site there are tweaks available for XP http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

ok to disable on startup or running apps

ok here we go ..... go to start>run> and type msconfig.exe then press enter. go to the STARTUP tab and you can turn off loading applications.if you are a new user then i wouldnt disable anything that starts with C:\windows in its extension unless you know what it does for sure. Also what u can do hit CNTRL ALT DLT. Go under the Proccess Tab.Of course do not turn of Iexplorer.exe or svchost.exe. you can play with things there. the worst it will do is tell you that your pc will reboot. No worries and have fun.

NullDevice I have some problems connecting to that site. It is a good link though, I have been there before.

Here is a site I could connect to:
    Disabling unnecessary services in Windows XP

I hope that can be of help.

Cheers
    noODle

well noODle i also checked that right now...its down....first thx for the new link...but as far the blackviper page is concerned i think it was more informative and detailed...i have that( BlackViper) page cached offline...may i copy paste it in tuts...well i case i wont be negged...becoz i think this site going down is a very bad idea...publishing this page (Ofcourse the credit will go to black viper only) well help a lot of persons on the Forum...what u think???
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

In regards to the blackviper site being down... I happened to have the XP services PDF that he offers for download. I have attached it to this post. If anyone needs the 2k services, PM me and I'll attach that when I get home.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks......

well as the other guys mentioned you could use msconfig or use
    Start >
    Control Panel >
    Administrative Tools >
    Services
    and you cuold rigth click in the service, look in properties and read the brief explanation of the service an the dependencies that the program has with other programs, so that you don't stop a service that maybe is used by the internet conection or someting else.