Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test and compare (only for admins)

Test and compare (only for admins)

Hi guys and girls.

Sometimes I got the idea to use another AV vendor products in our Centralized AV installation. I currently use F-Secure centralized AV and I am pretty happy. But what a heck there are still couple of other good vendors that offers centralized managed AV products. So I downloaded other AV vendors and having in mind the functions I use with F-Secure which I am going to describe in the long run I try to implement other solutions in a test environment. But I do not get so satisfied with other AV products as much as F-Secure. Therefore I would like to invite people to describe AV centralized applications other than F-Secure in this post in order to see any differences and in in general the prons and cons of similar products. Anyone interested please reply to this post so we arrange a framework of what we would describe of each product and how. This post could be useful to other people tend to look for a good AV centralized application and maybe give some ideas.

ThanKz
    That was all folks!
    http://www.virusinfo.bz/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I (we) use Symantec AV corporate edition. It works really well IMHO. It features remote "push" installation (although we've had some problems with that) and updating, centralized management, logging and quaratine... We've had no user complaints and no virus infections (that I know of!) since we use it. And yes it did stop a buch of them.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

we're using McAfee ePolicy, push technology, centralized logging and management. really nice interface wth DB backend.

-w0rm3y

We use Norton CE.
    Works great updates, clients and have had no infections.
    Push technology can be buggy and corrupt definitions have knocked it out a couple of times.

GG

Trend Micro owns you all. No really, it's a great product with great support. Plus licensing is much better than McAfee or Norton, you see it's a perpetual license. Once you buy the software it's yours.

It's not too resource intensive so you won't have people trying to idsbale it because "It slowed my system down", etc. etc.

Check it out. www.trendmicro.com

enjoy

<edit>

Check out this article
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Trend Micro is a dissapoint....

Trend Micro owns you all. No really, it's a great product with great support. Plus licensing is much better than McAfee or Norton, you see it's a perpetual license. Once you buy the software it's yours.
    There rumours that Trend will change their licensed mode. I heard that once a years license would expire and you do not renew..the software will be there but it would stop functioning.

I have had before few days a demo of Trend Micro products and I dissapointed when I saw that there console for server administration , console for client admin, and super console the TMCM which assume control the consoles...I thought that is really much sad...

Plus that did not catch in the beginning an Expoit.Iframe.filedownload and the guy who presented trend micro talked to trend micro guys to finally solve the problem.

P.S To you and to other mates in this post. I assume as granted that words we would say in this thread would not be taken in person so pleas do not offended.
    That was all folks!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    We also use Norton Corporate Addition but I found a security problem with the client side installs. You can edit a reg key and circumvent the lockout feature which forces the client to participate in a managed environment. I have reported it to Symantec with no response. I'm taking it to BugTraq soon.

Other than that, I think that you can expect similar levels of functionality from the enterprise players. I happen to like Norton. I used to like NAI but they, in my opinion, have hit the skids in recent years. I had more trouble with MacAfee Clients blue screening boxes than I care to remember.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

To w0rm3y

we're using McAfee ePolicy, push technology, centralized logging and management. really nice interface wth DB backend.
    Hello man I heard that epolicy orchestrator does bad in our days..is it true or just rumours?

Well since 2000 I got several occurences with blue screens but their latest versions are damn good.
    That was all folks!

Re: Trend Micro is a dissapoint....

Originally posted here by Support

There rumours that Trend will change their licensed mode. I heard that once a years license would expire and you do not renew..the software will be there but it would stop functioning.

I have had before few days a demo of Trend Micro products and I dissapointed when I saw that there console for server administration , console for client admin, and super console the TMCM which assume control the consoles...I thought that is really much sad...

Plus that did not catch in the beginning an Expoit.Iframe.filedownload and the guy who presented trend micro talked to trend micro guys to finally solve the problem.

P.S To you and to other mates in this post. I assume as granted that words we would say in this thread would not be taken in person so pleas do not offended.
    I didn't write the software I just use it so, no , I'm not offended. To each his/her own is my motto. I've just been horribly disillusioned by the bigger names in AV so I decided to go with an underdog.

And BTW I've been using the software for a while and it functions whether or not you pay the nominal subscription fee. As for the other issues, I've never been infected by a thing while using this product. *knocks on wood*

peace
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I have evaluated TrendMicro's stuff and I have to agree that it is very solid. Unfortunately, even though I made a rec for it, the decision was made to go with Symantec because they already had another Symantec product deployed and they wanted to maintain "continuity".

Blah!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden