Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: learning progamming

learning progamming

What is the best language to learn to program with. I mean absolute begginer programming. I am trying c++ but have been told it is a very unfogiving language, Is there something more simpal that you can recomend?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Thread moved from Antionline: How do I? to General Chit Chat**
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

The first language I learnt is Java, and I think it's a good one to start with.
    Although it's not easy it's not that hard as C/C++. Python is also good to start with, much easier than Java and it can be used in combination with it. --> http://www.jython.org/

I learnt C++, u can visit http://www.cprogramming.com for some articels and some tutorials there. if u wanna learn easier u better try from the basic languange ( QBasic or Pascal ). But the most important is ALgorithm Base Knowledge . If u already understood about that , i think u can learn more about programming language with that base knowledge.
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

shadow_dancer I don't think QBASIC is a good language, it teaches bad habits, all BASICS aren't very well if you ask me. I don't know about PASCAL

I personally recommend Java. And once you get the ideas, you can easily transfer them to C++. Good luck though
    \"Great spirits always encounter strong opposition from mediocre minds.\"
    Albert Einstein

i would recomment C ... get started on and i am sure then u can migrate on to any language ...
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

I agree with the last 2 posts. I think both C and/or Java are good languages to start with.

C is for the most part a subset of C++, so if you start there you will have a pretty good start on some of the basics of C++. This is not to say that C is an incomplete language of course. In fact, many consider C more efficient the C++. The object oriented (OO) features of C++ can lead to slower code. Buy the same token OO can greatly decrease the time you spend writing code.

One of the things people have a hard time with using C or C++ are pointers (basically access to addresses in memory). Java eliminates that for the most part. It doesn’t have pointers or references like C or C++.

Java is a very nice language with a wonderful library. One of the nice things about Java are the libraries (GUI, networking, etc).

This is not to say you cannot start off learning C++. Chances are that with the right book(s) you could do it w/o to much trouble.
    \"Trying to outsmart a compiler defeats much of the purpose of using one.\" — Kernighan & Plauger, The Elements of Programming Style.

what about c#
    i think is more simple to start
    at least you didn't need to study what is hard in c for example The pointer

If i could go back and "start again", i would learn C or one of its variants first. Why? Because i originally started with BASIC and moved onto Visual Basic.

Now dont get me wrong; both are good languages, especially the latter (on windows systems anyway..), but basic/"simple" languages seem to create bad habits in my experiance as ha-lf mentioned earlier in referance to Q-BASIC. Think of it as a hill; The harder languages are on top, whareas the "simpler" ones are on the bottom. As most people know, in an environment in which gravity is present (such as Earth), it is much easier going downhill than uphill.

But in the end, it is up to you; Take into consideration some of the following:
    1) what features do you want? does 'x' language support that?
    2) what approach will you take? structured or RAD?
    3) what platforms will you want your programs to run on?

In any case, enjoy it. Dont fall into the trap of beating yourself up over mistakes or bottlenecks in your programming, just remember that it is a forever-learning experiance