Thread: Windows 2000 Wallpaper.

Windows 2000 Wallpaper.

Some of the girls in here are doing a charity thing today and they all dressed up as majorettes.

I have a jpg of them in uniform which I want to set as a backgorund for the next time they log in on their machines.

I am an administrator here and have all the privilidges machine and local but does anyone know how to change the wallpaper on a users profile on a windows 2000 box or what reg keys to fudge?

cheers.

Windows 2000, you should be able to just open the image in say IE or something and right clickon it and set as wall paper. If you mean something else reply mmk?

No

Yes if I right click on it while logged on as me it will set it as my wallpaper and I will get it when I log in on that machine.

What I want to do if change the wallpaper in another profile. (Not Me)(another User)

I don't want to reset that users password.

"don't deserve greenies here, that was not the answer he was looking for"

So when he gave me green for trying to help you took it upon yourself to be the authority in AP giving huh? Why dont you learn to be the authority in blow job giving *******.

you can do this on the pdc in the profiles directory i cant rememner exactly how (long time ago when i was working on windows) but it is diffently in this directory if you can figure out how will you post it here to refresh my senile memory
    \"An eye for an eye and the world would be blind\"
    (I dunno who said this)

sniper0wolf0 told me it was Ghandi Thanks

Well mark,

Here is how I found the registry location of my wallpaper..
    Opened Regedit - Search..
    For waht you are trying to do.. I suspect you won't be able to.. if 2k is same as xp .. userdat is different..

Best idea, If you know the filename of their existing wallpaper.. being admin .. you will be able to rename their existing W/P and place your new file inthere as the old W/P name..

Not much help.. sry best I can do..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by cytex
    you can do this on the pdc in the profiles directory
    There are no PDCs in Windows 2000. You have to create a GPO in Active Directory or alter the domian level policy. Its somewhere inside of the User Level Policies.

If the domain has no explicit policies then the wallpaper will be where black_death indicated on the local cache of each machine the user has logged into. You can use group policy and/or the profile directory in AD user administration to create a 'roaming profile' which will load the users settings from the directory specified in the profile directory (i.e. //server/profiles/%username%/) In order for the wall paper to update correctly(each time they log in) you must remove the old locally cached profile and the group policy should be set to delete locally cached profile when user logs off. (Don't do this on a heavy traffic LAN kids)

-Maestr0

PS. There are no PDC's in Windows 2000 and if there were, they would be commiting suicide at the gates of Redmond.
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier