To Defrag or Not To Defrag?

Thread: To Defrag or Not To Defrag?

Question To Defrag or Not To Defrag?

Good Morning all,

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away....I used to be a Mac-man. Loved them. Anyhow, a friend once told me that defragging a drive with regularity is not a good thing.

I believed him/her, and continue to tell others the same.

So...I now ask y'all...

Does defragging your drive with regularity lead to more defragmentation?

Humbly,
    refarcratS

It's always a good idea to defrag at least twice a month. If you don't defrag with some regularity, you will experience a slowdown in your system performance.

Good Morning all,

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away....I used to be a Mac-man. Loved them. Anyhow, a friend once told me that defragging a drive with regularity is not a good thing.

I believed him/her, and continue to tell others the same.

So...I now ask y'all...

Does defragging your drive with regularity lead to more defragmentation?

Humbly,
    refarcratS
    It generally is a good idea to defragment the file system from time to time. In the old days it could be very critical to getting good performance out of a system; however, these days, systems come with so much memory and are so much faster, unless you are doing just an enormous amount of disk I/O, I wouldn't consider it nearly as important as it used to be. For getting a small increase of performance on an older PC, maybe, but for anyting newer, it is pretty much overkill (margin of performance increases is very small).

You can usually tell whether a drive really needs defragging just by carefully listening to it read/write from the disk. If it is reading a file and you hear alot of pauses (they can be very short ones, maybe even sounding like alot of really fast clicks) then you probably have a good amount of fragmentation and would benefit from running it; however, if on disk I/O you hear a steady grinding sound, you probably won't benefit from it much... If you were wondering, the pauses are because the head is having to seek to a different part of the disk to continue reading the file (defragging puts all of the file in contiguous (side-by-side) blocks, which eliminates the need for the head to seek out different sectors.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Thank You very much.

BTW I seared my ear trying to listen to my drives just now.

Thankyou nebulus200 I didn't know that, I would defrag every week or sometimes 2 times a week.
    I like a clean computer .

Cya ~dzA~
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Heh, you don't have to take the case off or anything (or at least I never have)...you should be able to hear the drive spin and click with it fully put together...dunno, maybe I just have been doing this so long I understand the hdd's language *yikes*

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

ok well then go tell your friend to NEVER defrag his drive and ask him if its a good idea in 3 months.... heh
    ﻸﻊ Ѕλﺝ| ﻍﮕ