Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IP tracing

IP tracing

Don't know where to put this, but is it possible for people to be able to find exact locations for an IP address. For example, you get someones IP address. Is it possible to be able to find their exact location, like street address?

There are ways, not easy though. If you want to narrow it down to a city, you can always just use NeoTrace, probably the easiest way to trace an IP to a physical location.
    Mafia = Organized Crime
    Government = Unorganized Crime

although there is nothing in the design spec for the internet protocol to give exact geographical locations of nodes (because it is a logical address) i believe it is possible, with the help of other systems and applications to get an idea of the geographical location.
    Geoboy http://www.rocketdownload.com/Details/Inte/2245.htm and NeoTrace are commercial applications that will give you the general area, but theres nothing like a good map to get street addresses.

but i reiterate: it is not possible to be exactly sure from an ip address because this was not in mind when it was designed and developed - because it wasn't an issue.

Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

From the research I have done this is next to impossible without some in depth research on your part.

Step one would be to get that IP address and what company it belongs to.

Step two would be to contact the company and find out what ISP rents that IP range (or if the company itself uses that IP range).

Step three would be to contact the ISP renting the IP range and find out some info about them (most companies are free with telling you where they are located).

Contact is not necessarily necessary after step two. You could research on the internet to find out where the company is located.

D'elTarra

But can't the government trace an IP to find people like malicious hackers.

They go through the same basic steps that DelTarra said.

1. Get the ip, and determine what ISP its with.

2. Find the contact details of the ISP

3. Since they are the govenment, the isp will most likely give out the information they have on the client e.g. address + phone number.

You might be able to bluff (ph34r s0c14l 3ng1n33r) your way through the isp by saying your a company, got hacked or scanned etc and wanted to call them. That is if the person you are talking is either gulliable or stuipid.

Then again if you find that you were hacked by a malicious hacker that acctually knew his stuff, chances are the ip that you will trace wont be his, just a computer that he has hax0red and trojaned/proxied/rootkitted, and was bouncing his ip off to make it look like he came from there. You would have to go down a long trail of logs to find the original ip.

Hello. I'm new here so please don't laugh too hard when I sound dumb. ( A little maybe...just not to loud as to wake the baby.) Is it possible to find a location ( city, street, whatever) by using an email address? Can an Ip be found thru email?
    Words are like bullets...once they are out there you can\'t take them back.

Ya try something like visualroute http://visualroute.visualware.com/
    Better Laugh At Your Own Problems..
    Coz...The World Laughs At Them

with the e-mail address as far as i know yes they can find out location because there is the email all they have to do is get the info about the recipent from the isp

dacObraman, Thank you. How do I get the info from the ISP? I know it's pacbell.net but when I ran a trace all I got was that it was a valid email address.
    Words are like bullets...once they are out there you can\'t take them back.