Thread: Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe

I see the US has critised President Mugabe over recent developments.

News story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2970988.stm

I was wondering what everyone thought about this.

Seems a bit odd to me that Tony Blair isn't doing anything about this.

even more odd that chirac has already cozied up to mr mugabe to the great dismay of other african leaders.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Not really that strange that France has cozied up to Mugabe.

France still has some parts of its empire in Africa, and is desperate to retain influence at any cost. For example, the EU has limited sanctions (a travel ban) in place against Mugabe & his cohorts. And guess which EU country flagrantly violated this ban by inviting Mugabe & his wife to Paris a few months ago?

Technically, France didn't violate the sanctions, as they used the one week period during which the EU was going to renew them, and publicly stated they would veto the renewal of EU sanctions, unless Mugabe was allowed to visit Paris, much to the fury of many other EU states.

You gotta admire the bastard. When anti-globalisation rioters threaten to burn down Switzerland, the Swiss Gov't uses all the modern "humane" methods like rubber bullets etc.
    Mugabes troops use live ammunition. It's not a game to him.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Oh, yes, and he has just intoduced a law to ban strikes by 'essential services' - see
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2992166.stm

Strange that 'essential services' include the state run radio and TV stations isn't it
    After all, he has already closed down the independent press by encouraging his supporters to set fire to their buildings, and arresting anyone who is critical of his 'government'.

get rid of mugabe. Otherwise we are going to see anthter rwanda, or uganda, or liberia, or ivory coast, or.....

Interesting how the french are involved in coddling each and every dictator.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.