Thread: Enabling internet connectivity in Windows 2003

Antionline Herpetologist

Unhappy Enabling internet connectivity in Windows 2003

I just installed a brand new copy of Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition as a dual boot with XP. I'm having a problem where the damn thing won't connect to the internet. It won't even ping my gateway. I've set everything up exactly as in XP. I even tried to delete the connection and reinstalling the network card. Nothing works. Please help.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    What kind of NIC is it? Did you try a different driver? If you have an integrated Intel pro 100 and you happen to be misfortunate enough to have gotten the driver update from Microsoft then you have to dump that driver and get the one provided from intel.

Without knowing any other details, this is the only thing that comes to mind. Does XP on the same box have any issues getting out to the internet?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Antionline Herpetologist
    It's a "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC" (exactly what Windows 2003 says). My IP is 90.0.0.245 and my Gateway's IP is 90.0.0.1 and my Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 . XP works flawlessly (typing this in from xp).
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)

Hmmmmm, wierd. When I setup W2k3, I had no issues. I take it that you checked your DNS settings and all the like? Sounds like you aren't using DHCP either, right? Did you try a different driver from the manufacturer yet as I assume you are using the W2k3 driver that came with the OS?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Antionline Herpetologist
    OK, the damn thing worked. I rebooted it once and it didn't work, rebooted twice and it didn't work but the third reboot got it working. It's working perfectly now. Thanks for all the help.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows2003!

Actually now that it is working, be sure to get the newest patches for w2k3. Yep, there are some already. Also, don't have high hopes for it as I have found at least 10 things that have not been improved under the "secure computing" initiative that was pimped like a cheap hooker by Microsoft.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the patch (there was only one critical, the other two were localization updates) immediately after I got internet working.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

hmm....wonder if we should add a message to the beginning of the MS forum(s), something like:

"before you ask a question about something not working in windows, reboot. Still not working? reboot again. If it's still not working after five reboots, update. reboot. Still not working? now ask. If we can't help, open a command prompt and use fdisk. install linux/BSD/*NIX. be happy, and may the tux/daemon/various_other_creature be with you."
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

I would like to add one small thing. If you need drivers for any peice of hardware, try www.driverguide.com . They have a huge archive, and registration is free. You can search by manufacturer, FCC ID, or whatever.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.