Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Night Fever

AO's Mr Grumpy

Saturday Night Fever

I'm just sitting here at my machine, browsing AO, and thinking what am I doing and why am I doing it. Saturday night , even an old guy like me should have something better to do. I have been diagnosed as an addict. I remember my first fix, "It's a computer, it's called a Spectrum -try it , you'l like it" It made me sick at first , but I then got usedf to it , pumped my self full of Basic, but it drained me , I thought I'll have to get off this stuff, and after a struggle , kicked the habit. Many years later, someone asked if I knew anything about computers, they had a problem, said I would have a look. That was the relapse. 386's, 486's, DOS etc, . I have never recovered and feel that this disease will live with me forever. Suggestions on how to overcome this disease not required. On a more serious note , what is your earliest recollection of computer's, seeing one or using one ?
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

I am only 20, so my experience with computer does'nt go back too far. The first computer we got was a "wang"(i have a cheap ass for a dad)/lol, we got it around 8 years ago. We used to play "pit", does anyone else remember pit? That game was fun as hell. That's about as far back as i go.

Im 20 too, so I haven't seen many old computers in my life.
    the oldest one I remember is an Apple my aunt used to have and I remember playing a city-building game (probably simcity -1) and actually enjoying it.
    \"Great spirits always encounter strong opposition from mediocre minds.\"
    Albert Einstein

Apple IIc . . .and charlie browns ABC's.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

I'm 25 and I remember an apple pc we used in grade school.We use to play number and word crunchers with it.
    --ZG78

I'm 21.. but I've seen quite a few older machines in my day.....

My first comp was a Tandy 1000... man that was old.. with it's 10MB of HDD space.... I can remember the old apples at school.. the IBM PS/2 386 and in Gr 6.. it was a classic.. We had Icons.... Those were the greatest computers, 1 big unit, a track ball right next to the keyboard...I've always wanted to find one to put in my room.

Dead Man Walking
    Well looks like i got you guys that have posted so far beat. My first computer was a commodore 64. It had no hard drive only 5.25 floppy or tapedrive. Anybody else out there remember the good old {load "*" ,8,1 }? oh yea and we had the c64sx as well. it was one of the first portables with its big bad 4 inch b/w monitor god that was great unless of course you were trying to edit text.

I had a sinclair zx81 as my first ,if i remember right it came with a mind blowing 2k expandable to 16k .You can still buy them for ~100$ a really overpriced calculator basically.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I forget what year it was, but my mom's boss got a Apple II at work. He showed me "Zork" or at least that is what I think it was called. For those who don't remember it was a text based game...maybe a little like D&D. Anyway, I remember thinking how cool it was. Here was this guy having a conversation with the computer. I was blown away.
    \"Trying to outsmart a compiler defeats much of the purpose of using one.\" — Kernighan & Plauger, The Elements of Programming Style.

I'm 18 but the oldest compuer I have every seen was a 186. Not sure of the brand but thats the earlist comptuer I remember messing around with.

I don't think it had a hard drive because to get the computer to work you had to put in a 5.25 floppy.
    =