Thread: Virtual Drives?

Banned

Virtual Drives?

I know it's not security but it's a newbie question so this seems to be the right place to put this.

I was making a virtual drive for a game (so that I could play w/o the CD) and a questoin hit me. Could I make a virtual drive on my C:\ and then use it to run Linux?

No, you will need a partition to put a normal Linux Dist on, a virtual drive is just as it name suggests, virtual.
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

Banned
    I don't know much about partitioning drives but I always *thought* that when a virtual drive is created it is a partition...?

EDIT: Skipped a word!

A Virtual Drive allows you to use a single drive letter (d:\ e:\ etc) to specify a path, for example C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\

In other words a Virtual Drive "is just a link".

A Partition on the other hand is used to devide your memory space on the HDD into parts that is "seperated" from each other. A good use for this is for example to have Win* on one partition and *nix on another.
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

A virtual drive is just as Viggie suggests a symbolic link mapped to an area of an existing partition and assigned a letter. The information about this virtual file system is contained in RAM or in a temporary section of the drive. A LOGICAL drive is a partition of a physical drive which is assigned a letter of its own even though it physically resides on another drive(i.e. When you create a D: drive in addition to C: drive even though there is physically only 1 HDD), all file system information is written to this drive when the drive is partitioned and is permanent until re-partitioned. All information concerning a virtual drive is volitile and is destroyed once the machince is rebooted, which is why you will not be able to boot from it(hence run linux) As a side note it is not unusual for some one to create a small partition(a logical drive maybe 1 gig or so) on their hardrive to use as sort of a Virtual CD-Rom drive which can be used to either mount CD images or possibly boot a very small distro of linux. This drive could also be used to store images or 'ghosts' of the rest of the system for back-up purposes as well.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Banned
    Ahh... there goes what I thought would be a kick ass idea... thanks for clearing that up for me Maestr0 and Vigge