Thread: smokeandapancake.org??? what the heck is that?

smokeandapancake.org??? what the heck is that?

just a quick heads up....

a search on google didn't turn up too much on www.smokeandapancake.org, just a bunch of other people who have been bothered by this download window that pops up like 100 times asking you to download winpup32.exe, which someone said was a pretty nasty virus, but i couldn't find any info on it anywhere....

the site itself was never visited on my boy's computer, but he still had the popup windows open, and i guess he clicked 'save' on one of them, cuz he had the program on his comp. not sure what it does, couldn't find anything on it, but it's gone now anyway.

if anyone else has had an experience with them, please share it. like i said i couldn't find too much about them or the program winpup32.exe, so if you have any info on either, please pass it on!

i was on a friends cp and it poped up. several windows poped up asking me to download it. then it started downloading before i could hit a button. i got all 135 window cancelled before it finished so i don't know what it was or what it did.
    --ZG78

Banned
    Originally posted here by ZombieGirl78
    i was on a friends cp and it poped up. several windows poped up asking me to download it. then it started downloading before i could hit a button. i got all 135 window cancelled before it finished so i don't know what it was or what it did.
    That is the only reason I refuse to click that link, because if it starts downloading, I don't want something on my computer that I don't about... but then again, I'm pretty sure Norton and BlackICE will catch it.

Dead Man Walking
    I got brave and clicked on the link and got a not found error. HMMMMM googled the winpup32.exe. nothing hmmmmm. If i were you i would run bothe a good virus scanner and also a trojan scanner. I cant remeber the links off the top of my head but a quick search of either this site or google should get you some results. If you do manage to find more information please post it here so the rest of us know whats happening

yeah, it's the comma after the url that causes the link not to work in the original post - sorry about that...

i ran AVG (virus scan) on his computer after i found the winpup32.exe, and it didn't detect a virus. when i actually ran the winpup program, zone alarm did not pop up and say that it was trying to access the internet or anything, but regardless, i removed the winpup thing anyway

the smokeandapancake website is not that impressive anyway, pay it a visit and see what i mean....

Dead Man Walking
    Okay i got to the site. Just a line of text that said smokeandpancake.org. Nothing else and no popups. No im not saying your wrong because then i would be argueing with my girlfriend (zombieGirl78) and that would be dumb But i can find no evedence of this files existence. Now im really interested. I googled for both the url and winpup32.exe and no matches found. Im going to look into this some more. I would strongly advise running a trojan scanner such as The Cleaner or something similar. Im going to keep looking and post back if i find anything

When i did my initial google search of smokeandapancake yesterday, the only hit i got was a discussion list of people who have had similar problems. but when i did the same search today, i got no hits. luckily the url for the one i got yesterday was still in my history

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme/r1054944597

when i did the search yesterday for winpup32.exe, i also got no hits. AVG did not nail it as a virus, haven't done any other kind of trojan or spyware scan yet.

and yes, arguing with your girlfriend is a bad idea, especially in this case cuz you would have been wrong. read the list of complaints about this download and you'll see lots of people have had the same experience she and i did

I am not exactly sure how this all works, but see if you have the files rundll16.exe and mads.dat in your windows directory. If you do, you probably also have a registry entry for rundll16.exe under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you have Windows 2000, you can terminate the process rundll16.exe with TaskManager, delete those two files and delete the registry key.

There is no rundll16.exe in windows. There is a rundll.exe and a rundll32.exe and these are proper windows things, but not rundll16.exe

Last week my sister in law was having that same problem and every time she try to click it out it would start to download since she didn't have a spyware remover i delected out of the registry but i also notice in her windows components the winpop was check i don't know if it has anything to do with it but i uncheck it. IMHO it's some kind of browser hijacker. i did a search on it and this is what i came up with.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Misc..._20640277.html
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

www.tauscan.com

Trojan scanner
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.