virus survive a format?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: virus survive a format?

Question virus survive a format?

can a virus survive a hard drive format?
    [blur]Y R U U [/blur]

yes!

Now to really answer the Question:

Never assume that a format on its own will rid you of ALL virii.

If I am not to sure of the Bug that destroyed the data on a drive.. And the customer is not willing to pay for a forensics recovery of data.. A low level format, partition and format is the first step (with the drive in a clean machine).

Some Virii CAN (not will or does) hide in the Mobo CMOS Ram, Also some code CAN make changes to the BIOS itself and hide itself in the BIOS..

But then what seems like a virus in the BIOS/CMOS could also be a simple corruption of the bios and just needs reseting..(this account for more than half of my suspected Virus infected machines)

Hope this is of help.. I am sure there are others who can give better and more detailed inf..and or Links to the Info..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

yes that is helpfull
    and virii in the bios would explain what happend to a couple of my mother boards.
    can it also get into pci cards like display cards

p.s. how do i change my user name to some thing else?
    [blur]Y R U U [/blur]

Banned
    Originally posted here by oso_1_
    p.s. how do i change my user name to some thing else?
    Excuse me?!? User name to what, man? Here in AO, another site, something like a database, or the user accounts in your comp's login?? If so which OS do you have exactly???

sorry
    here in AO
    [blur]Y R U U [/blur]

Banned
    Just get a new e-mail address, register useing that address only under a different name, then wait for your accounting info to come through the mail so you can start posting agian.

thnx
    i was just hoping that i could change it and keep my stats and settings but owell.
    [blur]Y R U U [/blur]

and virii in the bios would explain what happend to a couple of my mother boards.
    can it also get into pci cards like display cards
    Not that I have seen..YET.. I suspect that it is possable, have read some boasts of such activity
    Anything that uses EEPROM/Flash memory either for Device BIOS or Device's own use, can have these areas of memory written to.. ie Video Cards AGP and some PCI, CD-RW's, External Modems,

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Banned
    i have this pci video card and every mother board i've put it in has died so i think its the card but i also have a bigfoot hard drive that had had a worm and then i got it formated but i dont want to try it with my new mother board thats working fine but i would like the extra mem.
    should i risk hooking it up or what

As far as I know it is not possible for a virus to hide ina psi card, it is ossible and has happend to a frined of mine that a virus logged itself in the bios, so we just flashed it and it was all good. As far as every mother board dieing when your using a card, it could be couple of problems. 1. is trhe card compatible and 2 is it a defective product.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com