Thread: Security+ ?

Security+ ?

Hello AO's I was thinking about getting my Security+ certification and wondering if CompTIA was a good association to recieve an IT network security certification from?

Personally, I've never heard of it. How about a website to look at or other info pertaining to it?

IMHO -For the most part, security certs are B.S. There are far too many facets of security to consider one or another security cert superior.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

depending on your job requirements, but security + is like the lowest common denominator in the security field. i would definently say it's not worth the money. if you're company is forking out the cash, i would recommend sans training.

-w0rm3y

AO Part Timer
    IMHO anymore certificates don't amount to much. Don't get me wrong, but what did you really learn while studying for that A+ cert. Some of the Sun and Cisco Certs are worth getting. If you are an ace with mathamatics and you can code at least a little bit. You should be very succesful in anything you want to do. If the company is paying for it, then you've nothing to lose however.

-my 2 cents
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Oh I agree, I m not talking about paying thousands of dollars to listen to a Teach that doesnt know more than the Text book that I bought on half.com. Along with the 16$ book and Braindumpcentral.com I was just going to take it at my local prometric testing center when Im ready.

Yes, I would agree with you there, A cheap book on the subject, is much more cost effective than getting a teacher, You can work at your own pace and go back over things you don't understand. If you have any questions that you would usually ask a teacher, Theres plenty out on the web, and theres always here for asking questions.
    Then its only about $60(I think) for the exam, and you've got yourself a reasonable start in IT certificates and then you can go on to the more advanced courses, CCNA, sans and whatever