Thread: Artists and Clive Barker fans

Post Artists and Clive Barker fans

Greetings all...

Here's the deal...I downloaded and image from www.clivebarker.com, modified (Resampled and Sharpened) it with IrfanView, and added text with MS Paint. I'm well aware that there are more professional programs out there that would get me what I want...but...I want to know if anyone out there can improve on what is and will be my desktop wallpaper, and how you went about it, using only integrated and/or freeware apps. I'd really like some suggestions on graphical design...

Here it is...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

mmm well... don't know if you'll like the attached, or if you think it's an improvement... but it was created with a windows port of the GIMP (it is freeware so I'm staying within your limitations here ) basically I copied the original to a new layer, colourised it in a greenish hue, blended it with the original layer (50% transparency and set blend option as multiply), added a canvas filter to the green layer then passed a fractal trace map filter over it, burned a few of the lines a bit more to make the cross stand out and then passed a slur noise filter over it. A lot of filters I know but I'm being lazy tonight... the words could do with being done in a different font I think but I figured I'd go for a subtle (ish) alteration to the original. I have other ideas as well but I don't have time to make more than a beginning on this one tonight.

Z

[edit] incidentally... must dig out that book again and read it... I haven't looked over my Clive Barker collection for years now.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Cool Shoal

Great work, Zonewalker...BUT...I'll modify that to blue Looks great, and I look forward to any smoothing out of the textures that anyone can give me hints on. I know that's going to be a pain in the ass, since the original .jpg was 304x293 (144x144 res. anyone? ), but i really like this graphic...

Ouroboros

edit: This is the original image http://clivebarker.com/images/books/shoal.jpg

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

why thank you Ouroboros I tried a blue colour on it myself... but either I wasn't in a 'blue' mood last night or I couldn't get the right shade of blue. Whatever - a blue shade didn't seem quite right. If I get a chance tonight (might not depends upon how the day goes today), I'll get the original and see what I can do with that - see what we can do about those textures. If you're going to stick to freeware though I'd get a copy of the GIMP if you haven't already (either Linux or Windows port - which ever OS your working with) - I usually play around with photoshop myself so I'm not quite so used to the way the GIMP does things - but I believe its worth sticking with.... sadly I don't get as much time to do many 'arty' things these days - a situation I'll have to try and rectify... anyway have fun with the alterations

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes