Thread: FreeBSD screen saver

FreeBSD screen saver

hi, could some with FreeBSD OS tell me if this screen saver works on your machine? I tried it step by step but it doesn't seem to work or maybe I followed the instructions wrong. Thanks http://freshmeat.net/projects/matrix_saver/?topic_id=62

need little more information, like what error you were getting, any messages?

-w0rm3y

Any time i ever set up Free BSD the screen saver was set up during install. Now if you mean you are trying to install one you downloaded or something. Read the instructions again, I know from experiance sometimes when you read them a 5th time you find words that you didnt seem to remember being there. and also, Welcome to the world of Free BSD.

thanks for the response. I wasn't getting any error because I did what the instructions says.
    I set "saver="matrix" and "blanktime="300" in /etc/rc.conf. Reboot my box and waited for 5 minutes and the screen saver didn't work. Did any of you two tried that matrix screen saver on your FreeBSD box? I provided a link where you can get it and it has the instructions also when you scroll down the bottom page.

Just Another Geek
    What kernel do you use? A homemade or the GENERIC?

If it's homemade make sure pseudo-device splash is in there somewhere.

Edit: Maybe you should try to install the port at /usr/ports/misc/matrix-kmod.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

thank you for responding. I'm using Generic and I did install the ports at /usr/ports/misc/matrix-kmod . I'll just keep searching google for the answer and if i don't find any then i'll just use the "warp" screen saver. Did any of you try installing the package from the ports?

Just Another Geek
    Unfortunately I cannot test it. All my Freebsd machines are headless.
    Oliver's Law:

hi, thanks for the help. My screen saver is working perfect now. I made a mistake in copying the file.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by SMiL3Y
    hi, thanks for the help. My screen saver is working perfect now. I made a mistake in copying the file.
    This I don't understand. If you install from the ports there should be no need to copy a file. Everything should install automagicly.

Just cd /usr/ports/misc/matrix-kmod and do a make install.
    Oliver's Law:

after "make install" you have to "cp /usr/local/lib/matrix/modules/matrix_saver.ko /modules"
    The rc(8) saver variable is just for modules in /modules
    then you can see if its loaded with "kldload /usr/local/lib/matrix/modules/matrix_saver.ko"
    after that you can hit SHIFT+PAUSE to see if its working