Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apache Webserver Help

Lightbulb Apache Webserver Help

I'm setting up an Apache webserver on a linux RedHat 7.1 system for testing some scripts and security. The webserver is connected with an Windows XP station (crosslink). I've got the FTP, WWW, SSH and telnet running but there's a little problem. If I type on my windows system in the IE the url of my webserver it takes a very long time to show the page. Could this be some wrong configuration in my server system??

Sounds like a DNS issue, how are you resolving the machine name? Are you using an internal DNS, hosts file or what?

Windows also uses netbios name resolution as an alternative for DNS (by default), but this is slow and unreliable (it may be the problem)

I suspect that the web server is fine.

well yeah sndz like dns issue

Is yor redhat server acting as dns server too

where does the /etc/resolv.conf nameserver entry points too

disable reverse lookup .

try removing resolv.conf from the server machine

try disabling dns lookup in webserrver config

regards

use a tool like lft (layer four traceroute) utility and test by ip versus cname and see what you get.

-w0rm3y

It does sound like DNS. Try accessing via the IP address of the Apache server with your web browser.

str34m3r
    Ooh, ooh, I think it's DNS!!! Oh, wait... did someone already say that?

Originally posted here by str34m3r
    Ooh, ooh, I think it's DNS!!! Oh, wait... did someone already say that?
    Yes..Someone did. I was re-enforcing the idea that it looked like a DNS issue. Notice I also added something else for them to try. Hopefully they would try it and then report back.

I tried to acces via IP address with my web browser it's also very slow. (b.t.w. ftp and telnet are slow too) When I ping my server the ping is very low.
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499

try removing resolv.conf

..... also have a look in /etc/hosts .... make sure your machines are showing there.

On my Mandrake box now looks like this ....

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
    192.168.0.1 linux linux.mybox.com
    192.168.0.2 windows windows.mybox.com

prior to that 127.0.0.1 was pointing at localhost only without the localhost.localdomain .... this really slowed things down on the local intranet and the internet.