Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Username/Password for default-shares

Username/Password for default-shares

hi!

with which username/passwort - combination can u get remote-access on a default share of nt-based os's (i.e winXP) ? i tried a username and password of a normal account (with admin-rights) and the "Administrator" username but both didnt work.

thx 4 answers

strahl3Mann

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    use the format:

mycomputername\username

Assuming of course that this is your computer to play with.... Otherwise...... Go away.... Your mother was a hampster and your father smells of elderberries........
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark

Your mother was a hampster and your father smells of elderberries........
    Wasnt that a quote from a video game?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod

Wasnt that a quote from a video game?

Monty Python I think, can't remember which movie though.
    DjM

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Oh come on you young 'uns...... It's Monty P and the Holy G.......

It's the rude French soldiers talking to King Arthur, pretending that they already have the Grail.....

I dunno..... The youth of today....... Hmmmmm..... Who said that?..... Oh dear..... My dad..... when I was young......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Oh come on you young 'uns...... It's Monty P and the Holy G.......

It's the rude French soldiers talking to King Arthur, pretending that they already have the Grail.....

I dunno..... The youth of today....... Hmmmmm..... Who said that?..... Oh dear..... My dad..... when I was young......
    Hey, I got the Monty Python part right. I just couldn't remember the movie, it's been a while since I watched one.

Hey, and thanks for the "young'uns" comment, it makes my stiff back and arthritic knees feels much better.
    DjM

"Son[s] of a silly person", All of you!
    Those who speak of what they know... find out too late that prudent si-lence was wise.
    --Madame Giry, Phantom of the Opera

Re: Username/Password for default-shares

with which username/passwort - combination can u get remote-access on a default share of nt-based os's (i.e winXP) ? i tried a username and password of a normal account (with admin-rights) and the "Administrator" username but both didnt work.
    any account in the local "Administrators" group should do - ideally with the "Log on from the Network" user right (which is granted to everybody by default)

If it doesn't accept administrator, try machinename\administrator (as Tiger Shark suggested)

By default a domain administrator "Domain Admins" account should work too (although this can be changed)

Some machines have the default shares disabled by policy - which does not enhance security but is just inconvenient.

thx for answeres.
    i tried out the things you suggested but somehow it doesnt seem to work.
    example: i work on a pc with winxp on it. i know that another pc in the lan (also winxp) has no password set for the default "Administrator" account.
    with net use i try:

net use x: \\computername\c$

then i get: blablabla please enter username for COMPUTERNAME\GUEST: computername\Administrator

blablabla password: <nothing>

Username or Password not correct ....

The same happens if i use the login-username and pwd from that pc (ex: john:smith)

thx for answeres

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Instead of using the command line, right click on My Network Places and search for the NetBIOS name of the computer (ex: Charlie_the_Tuna), once you see it, double click and enter valid account info and see what happens.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden