Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Redhat 9.0

Exclamation Linux Redhat 9.0

Hello,
    I was curious to know if Linux does not mount my NIC card on start-up, do I need a new card. The reason I ask is, obviously linux does not contain the drivers necessary to mount that NIC or it would have at boot. Could someone shed some light on the topic.

Madman

maybe....as soon as you give some light on what NIC you have and some details.

It's extremely unlikely that you have an unsupported network card, IMO. NIC support has always been one of Linux's strongest suits in the hardware department. The stock kernel has modules for just about every card out there, and it may be a simple matter of loading a module. What kind of card is it, and it would probably also be helpful if you could post the output of 'ifconfig eth0'.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Help

Sir,
    There is no eth0 mounted. So I can't run the command. The card is a Farallon NetLine (PN993-TX). I've searched the support site and can't locate any sort of linux driver. Any more help?

"Any more help?"

http://www.suse.com

sorry had too.

Try an NE2000 nic driver.

That's a generic nic driver that supports lots of cards. That should get you going

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that card uses the DEC Tulip driver. Try 'modprobe tulip' and see what happens. It's worth a shot.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

when you say it doesn't mount, are you saying that it's not seeing it when you see it boot up where it fails to activate eth0? does it say anything on your dmesg? dmesg | grep eth0 or something?

-w0rm3y

Ok guys,
    I did some extensive research and I found that the eth0 is not even in present. In present, I mean it's not there at all. So I had to manually go in and make a 'eth0', but apperently it can't initialize it. So basically, I'm at the point where I have no idea what to do except trial and error until it loads correctly.

At one point, I did get it to initialize but it wouldn't 'activate'. help

That means nothing to me.