Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Redhat 9.0

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    This may be a stupid question, forgive me for asking

Is there a lan associated with this NIC?
    I had a NIC in my computer that I was using as a standalone, it was never seen. When I finally got dsl service and plugged something into the card it was seen and configured automatically by kudzu.
    I wish the W98 side of the computer went as easily.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Yes, in fact there is a LAN association. But I don't believe that it would have any thing to do with it's activation. Essentially, I'm just curious if linux provides some sort of 'failsafe' driver that is globally compatable.

The NE2000 drivers don't seem to be working correctly, but it's most likely my fault. Also, what does Suse have to offer that is better than Redhat.

Madman

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    What I was trying to ask is, is anything plugged into the NIC? You can't have an eth0 without the NIC actually plugged into a network.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Indeed I do have something plugged in sir. CAT5 directly to my router. WAN = cable modem.
    Madman

type: ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up...if you get some type of error code, you need to load the correct module....if you have no idea what module to use, cd to your lib/modules/net dir and just try insmod "whatever.o" until you get the right one.....OR search google for linux ethernet how-to hehe...

Senior since the 3 dot era
    PN993-TX NetLINE 10/100 PCI Card, 10/100Base-T Card, Win only says some online shop... bleh... try not to use DHCP, very strange but that card seems to have probs with DHCP under linux? next try the de4x5 or tulip drivers.

maybe you can see 'eth0' but DHCP is not kicking in. To test this theory, change to /etc/rc.d/init.d. Then type './network restart'. If it's USB, type './usb start or restart'. I just got back into Linux after many years.... hope that helped.

Hmmm one of the things I would try doing is seeing if the NIC card is seated firmly in the slot on the mobo. hope that helps you a bit

I'm also fairly certain its a tulip based card. Use the redhat network administration tool(Enter 'neat' from shell) and add a eth0 device with the tulip module and see if that works for you.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

If it is possible to initialize it, ensure that it has a unique IP if you are not using DHCP so that it can be activated. Ne ways modprobe would be the best option