Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux and 80 lines of stolen code??

I was wondering, can they just take the 80 lines of code out?

Just a thought

So looks like SCO either stole the code from Linux or purposefully put the code in Linux for the purpose! Either wat SCO should be sued by Linux, right? Also, even the most basic programs will not share the same exact code. What kind of morons do they think people are? Every programmer has their own way of coding and no two lines will be the same except maybe in class. Even then most students will right different code to achieve the same results!!!
    Chester

So looks like SCO either stole the code from Linux or purposefully put the code in Linux for the purpose!
    I was also wondering, how can something like that be proven? I mean with the thousands and thousands of lines of code, I am thinking somewhere down the line, there are going to be similarities. I could be wrong (I have never seen UNIX code before), but can that be a valid argument? Cuz Linux and UNIX are so similar in many ways, right?

Jack

Humm I am wondering about those "80" lines...who wrote them origoanly, If they are older there is a good chance that its some of the code that Unix lifted from BSD...which would be why SCO is so touchy about letting it out...can any one find a block of 80 lines in the BSD kernal with comments taht match the linux kernal? if s owe have our match.

Also take anything said by the two "analysts" with a grain of salt, they where busniess analysits not programmers of lawyers.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by alittlebitnumb

I was also wondering, how can something like that be proven? I mean with the thousands and thousands of lines of code, I am thinking somewhere down the line, there are going to be similarities. I could be wrong (I have never seen UNIX code before), but can that be a valid argument? Cuz Linux and UNIX are so similar in many ways, right?

Jack
    I don't know about Unix but with the Linux there is a source tree and I suspect that anything that is entered into that tree can at least be traced to a date of entry. I am not well versed in the deep magic of kernel programing but I have read about something like this in the Linux Kernel mailing group. http://www.lkml.org/

I just found this article on extremtech.com (very VERY good reads)

Of the people, by the people, for the people

"Because it was the product of taxpayer-supported research, BSD source code can be (and is!) used in any commercial or non-commercial software product, free of charge. For this reason, virtually every computer operating system we use today --including Microsoft Windows, Microsoft NT/2000/XP, OS/2, Linux, and every commercial version of UNIX -- contains at least some BSD code. The Internet as we know it owes its existence to the TCP/IP "stack", or networking code, of BSD, which was revolutionary in that it incorporated networking directly into the kernel of the operating system."

So with that statement, if we were to trace it all back, wouldent SCO have to pay the govenrment for the use of the BSD code? I'm confused after reading this?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well, I think that's the one issue that will cause problems for SCO. The growth of UNIX, and eventually LINUX, were done during times when really no one had control, as well as those that had control didn't contest it. Why didn't Novell contest it when they owned (still do) UNIX Copyright? What about AT&T?

I don't think this will be an easy win and I wonder if it's more of a ploy for attention and advertising as well as "FUD" tactics. I will be curious to see how the courts play this one out.

And here's another ponder: each "tool" found in Unix and Linux were created by individuals that added to UNIX/Linux. What if the creators of those codes ported stuff back and forth and/or agreed to it being ported (thus casing code to be the same). Who would own that since they added it freely to the projects at the time (created at a time when hacker meant a good thing).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Well, I think that's the one issue that will cause problems for SCO. The growth of UNIX, and eventually LINUX, were done during times when really no one had control, as well as those that had control didn't contest it. Why didn't Novell contest it when they owned (still do) UNIX Copyright? What about AT&T?

I don't think this will be an easy win and I wonder if it's more of a ploy for attention and advertising as well as "FUD" tactics. I will be curious to see how the courts play this one out.

And here's another ponder: each "tool" found in Unix and Linux were created by individuals that added to UNIX/Linux. What if the creators of those codes ported stuff back and forth and/or agreed to it being ported (thus casing code to be the same). Who would own that since they added it freely to the projects at the time (created at a time when hacker meant a good thing).
    If you are talking about code that was written 10 - 20 years ago..I don't think that is going to be a big issue. For more recent code, I suspect that it would either be under the GNU license or if you work for a company and wrote the code at / for that company, you would probably be under some kind or NDA / NDC which gave all ouput that you do to your company.

Kind of hard to tell when we don't even know what the code in question is.

What is the world coming to when big business(Big Brother) is attacking the non-profiting linux community for money. The linux community, in my mind, is the epitome of morals and values in a world that lacks both. I can't believe SCO has the balls to try and start charging us for it. I paid for my copy of SuSE(under gore's reccomedation) and have no problem giving them my eighty bucks for the amount of work SuSE puts in to preparing it's product. As far as a liscence goes, **** off SCO and let Microsoft swollow you up if you want to make money off of liscences. God damn this pisses me off.
    -NeuTron

"All copyrights and trademarks, except for the copyrights and trademarks owned by Novell as of the date of the Agreement required for SCO to exercise it rights with respect to the acquisition of UNIX and UnixWare technologies. However, in no event shall Novell be liable to SCO for any claim brought by any third party pertaining to said copyrights and trademarks"
    http://ir.sco.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=110907

I surely would not want to be the one who has to secure SCO's servers and site .They are making lots of powerful enemys. Nowadays more problems/pain can be inflicted through what you know , than how much money you have .
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots