Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Linux and 80 lines of stolen code??

Yeah.. ahemm.. yeah.. k.. right.. so ?

Seems SCO upped the stakes by 300%

The amended suit also asserts that SCO holds copyrights to Unix, a point that could be key in future Linux and Unix litigation. Novell, which owned Unix intellectual property before selling it to SCO's predecessor, initially disputed SCO's ownership, but later relented.
    a good story also starring Linus Torvalds ( he just joined OSDL )

ow and IBM's comment (16-06-2003) on the cancelation of the AIX license

thx to www.lwn.net
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Torvalds is finally joining the OSDL. What a great day for linux! On a less positive note, has anyone read the latest news about SCO's lawsuit Read the new document here Check out section #99, SCO is going to attack RedHat and SuSE. Bastards.......

Originally posted here by NeuTron
    Torvalds is finally joining the OSDL. What a great day for linux! On a less positive note, has anyone read the latest news about SCO's lawsuit Read the new document here Check out section #99, SCO is going to attack RedHat and SuSE. Bastards.......
    SuSE????????????? ok NOW they are wishing physical harm on themselves.... by the way SuSE is part of United Linux which SCO is a part of...wonder how they plan on no being shot at now.

um...furthermore, SuSE is German, and supported by the German govt. (remember all those linux comps they said they were investing in, at a price OVER M$'s?). The most they could do would be to ban them from selling to U.S., but then SuSE or fans could post ISOs, and we could all just download it anyway.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

so let me get this straight, SCO has had people who signed NDAs look at the code and there are 80 lines that are identical with comments. However these when these lines were added is debateable and that could effect whether or not they can acctually effectively prosecute their claims.

/me thinks the 80 lines of code are generic stuff like this:

int main() { return 0;} //zero show sucessful execution

but maybe im off............

as for paying SCO for my copy of linux, well ill offer them a trade, i have this lovely peice of swamp water down in.................

====================================
    all right im looking thru the article Neutron gave the link to a few posts back http://www.sco.com/ibmlawsuit/amende...intjune16.html and honestly they have got to be kidding me
    28. The various identified versions of UNIX are sometimes referred to as UNIX “flavors.” All commercial UNIX “flavors” in use today are modifications of and derivative works based on the UNIX System V Technology (“System V Technology”). Were it not for UNIX System V, there would be no UNIX technology or derivative works available for IBM and others to copy into Linux.
    that last sentence is flawed because last time i checked BSD was a "UNIX technology" but may be im wrong.........
    76. Linux, or “GNU/Linux,” is an operating system variant or clone of UNIX System V Technology. According to leaders within the Linux community, Linux is not just a “clone,” but is intended to be a successor to UNIX System V. Linux, unlike UNIX, is distributed without a fee to its users.
    dictionary def of clone is an exact copy, linux has what like 8o disputed lines? hardly a clone, and linux was not developed under the pretext of being system V's successor last i checked
    77. As long as the Linux development process lacked central coordination, its direction was primarily aimed at meeting the computing needs of the Linux programmers themselves. As such, it posed little or no practical threat to SCO or to other UNIX vendors since the Linux developers did not have access to sophisticated high-end enterprise class multiprocessor systems, nor did they have any particular interest in supporting such systems.

78. The entire direction of Linux development changed with IBM’s entry into the open source community and its concerted efforts to control the community for its own economic benefit.
    um last i checked, both before and after IBMs involvement, Linus Toravolds gave it dirrection and coordination, but more importantly as kernel hackers come from all over saying that they didnt have access to high end enterprise class multiprocessor systems is like saying no little kid in gradeschool has had access to a library to learn on thier own.
    what is love but contempt for hate?