Foundstone is in TROUBLE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foundstone is in TROUBLE

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Foundstone is in TROUBLE

Looks like software piracy will always get you in the end.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/techn...457276,00.html
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

"They've stolen pretty much everything when it comes to software," says a founding employee who asked not to be named. The company even cracked Microsoft's operating system, Windows XP, says Dan Kuykendall, a former Foundstone software engineer, "
    Busted!!!!! Big time. What goes around, will come around and bite you in the azz*. That sucks for "Foundstone." Great read the horse, thankyou!

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

that would explain all their "hacking exposed" books!!! didn't they have another lawsuit with fire & ice stuff???

-w0rm3y

wow that is unreal that a company that makes that much money would do something like that.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I found the article interesting, but I also reserve my opinion of the company or its executives. I heard something a long time ago about "innocent until proven guilty". It sounded nice enough so I thought I'd adopt it as a philosophy. I am hoping the rest of America- especially the press and the legal system- soon start to follow this philosophy.

Sadly, it is not the law enforcement or software police that get you though. It is usually a whistle blower that the company has pissed off. The whistle blower had no moral or ethical qualms about using the software as long as he was benefiting from it. Once that person is disgruntled or gets fired though they think its an easy way to retaliate against the company by turning them in. The whistle blower is just as guilty for installing and using the software and should probably be included in any punitive actions.

The source of these allegations and most of the bad press are ex-employees or disgruntled employees so their views may be biased. That said, I think way more companies than care to admit it have software in use that they are fully aware is not licensed.

We'll see how this plays out, but I think more people need to read both sides of the story and assume the truth is somewhere in the middle. If a surprise audit were conducted at most companies I think you would find illegal software installed. Have you not installed shareware without paying for it (how many of you have cut a check for Winzip?)? Have you changed your system date to use trial software longer than allowed? Have you copied software from a friend? Have you bought one copy of a game or application and installed it on more than one computer in your home?

I am not implying that everyone else's guilt makes Foundstone less guilty if they are in fact doing what they are accused of doing. I'm just saying there is an awful lot of stone-throwing going on for such a fragile glass house.

I don't want the chat to turn into an interrogation or a roasting session, but George Kurtz and Stuart McClure will be on my site from 8pm to 10pm tonight. I would like to keep things civil and focused on the books or information security in general though and not on Foundstone's legal woes.

Awesome read, thehorse13, thanks...

DeadAddict made the comment that its hard to believe that a company that makes as much money as Foundstone does would be involved in software piracy, but I don't find that hard to believe at all. When you get right down to it, I'm sure there are a lot of corporations that are involved in such activities, probably some that bring in large amounts of revenues. You'd hope that a corporation with the financial resources to be completely compliant with their licensing would take the responsibility and do so, but I'd say that's not always the case.

If all of this is true, then Foundstone is in for some rough times..
    - Maverick

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I can't remember *ever* working for a company where I haven't found mounds of license violations or outright pirated software. All that happened here is that some ex-employees shined the flashlight on FoundStone and the media ate it up.

It will be fun to watch this one!! My guess is that this may play out like the ENRON scandel if enough people pay attention. You'll start seeing other well known companies coming under fire for software piracy.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I can't remember *ever* working for a company where I haven't found mounds of license violations or outright pirated software.
    Agreed.

In some cases it may be a result of warped and illogical licensing schemes that require a certification or PhD just to keep up with. At an enterprise level it is often difficult to follow the various voodoo and calculus formulas involved in determining how many licenses you are supposed to purchase and what the rules of engagement are for the legal use of those licenses.

Excuses, excuses. Ya know there are companies that specialize in making sure your licensing is up to spec. It doesn't take a rocket scientistto figure out you've got a large enough company that you need some help with licensing, does it?

And you can't blame ANY employees for blowing the whistle, it's not their responsibility to license the software, it's the companies. It's also the companies responsibility to ensure that there aren't any users uploading unlicensed software and trying to hide it.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

It is difficult also in many companies to just keep up with the licenses and mistakes are very easily made. MS is now using online licenses for things such as site licenses. It is very hard to keep up with whether it is suppose to be on online license and where the licenses should be maintained.
    Chester